Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Insulation

Options
jon
jon Member Posts: 17
Radiant floor is being installed in basement up against ceiling floor to heat first floor and will require insulation. Separate company or myself will insulate, but I have been told 3 things from 3 separate people:

1. Unfaced R-19 up against pipes
2. Foil faced R-19 up against pipes
3. "Armaflex" split foam insulation around pipes

ANY THOUGHTS ON WHICH IS THE RIGHT APPLICATION? THANKS.

Comments

• KCA_2
    KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    I'm not sure that I understand

the question.. But, here's what we do!!

If we do a Staple-up for instance.. we use a R11 (or better) reflective backed insulation leaving a 2" air gap between the floor surface and the insulation. (the R value needed is directly related to the floor covering..
    Anyway.. To make a long story short..
    We leave the cold water piping below the reflective insulation batting and then insulate it with armaflex.

You can still get some warm water in the cold water lines on the coldest of days. I guess, anyday if your useing a 3 way mixing valve. But the insulation helps considerably.

Hope this helps a little..

:-) Kca
    :-) Ken
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Depends on how you're conducting the heat

If through the air (convection) the more you want to make a well-insulated and sealed cavity--like a gas oven with the joist cavity being the broiler area and the room the oven. The more you rely on convection--suspended requires the most--the more critical it is to insulate (and seal) well.

If through physical objects (direct conduction) the more the insulation takes the form of "icing" on a cake--quite literally. Extruded aluminum plates make very high use of direct conduction.
This discussion has been closed.