Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing the pressure gauge

Options
I have a hot water boiler that is being used to generate heat in a hot water heating system. The boiler appears to be leaking. I want to remove the sheet metal so I can get a better look at the innards, but I would like to do this without cutting the sheet metal.

The pressure gauge is one of the obstacles that must be removed, but how to do so is not obvious . . . the distance between the back of the box that houses the gauge and the sheet metal is all of 1/2". When I push the sheet metal away from the gauge and toward the boiler, the insulation behind the sheet metal compresses, but I still can't make out how the gauge comes off.

The system is old. I can tell, because instead of copper, mine employs a series of aqueducts built by Hydronicus Ceasar's Roman Garrison, and they haven't done anyting but schorched-air systems since his son took over the business around CXIII B.C. So it's gotta pre-date that. Although, there are hand-scratched markings on the sheet metal indicating that the boiler (Crane Co.) may have been installed in May of 1965 and the gauge looks like original equipment.

Do I need a wrench or a tin snips?

Jim Glose (a wet behind the ears wethead)

Comments

This discussion has been closed.