Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A.O. Smith Burkay

Options
Hey, I'm not a greek :) . I'm 15 years old for one thing, have done much in the line of HVAC and Refrigeration, from hydraulics to diesel engines, electronics to large industrial work, and other various things. I am doing this for my family. And, I would hire out a contractor, if it wasn't for those G.D. insurance companies, the media, and the world and the person responsible for the burning of a restaurant of ours 11 years ago- that's another story. We are STUCK in a restaurant right now where we have a very undersized water heater since everying was rigged in this restaurant. I had the glorious task of repairing many jobs this malaka performed himself. That's another story as well. The truth of it is, I have never installed a Burkay before. So, I all I ask are some specs for the piping (gpm, etc.), and a schematic, or at least designations for the storage tank. All this is, in my view, is a low mass boiler that is open to a water line, and circulates through the boiler to the storage tank. Another thing I am concerned with it deliming, since I would assume lime and such in the copper coils are a problem, and since this practice is considered proper maintennance for this unit. Thanks....

Comments

• Tommy Stojanov
    Tommy Stojanov Member Posts: 16
    Options
    A.O. Smith Burkay

Hello all, I just picked up a 200,000 BTU Burkay and storage tank for our restaurant. Need a piping diagram. Are there any specified flow rates for the circulators between the tank and boiler? Any info about deliming the heat exchanger coils? What about the flow switches- anything special about them? THANKS!
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Please follow

Mark's advice. These units must be piped properly.
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    First off

please let everyone know where you are located so we can avoid what has the potential for a very dangerous situation.

Second, if the unit is new there would be instructions included. If you are not a licensed plumber, please do not install that unit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tommy...

is a brilliant, mechanically inclined young man who has been hanging here at the Wall for quite some time now.

I envy the young man for his knowledge and wished he lived near me so I could hire him during the summer and eventually take him on full time when he comes of age. He probably has a better understanding of the mechanics of heat transfer than most college grad mechanical engineers!!

Tommy, I'll help. You will need a licensed plumber to do the work for you though...

I'd first suggest that you contact the local AO Smith factory represenative and have him provide you with their installation manuals. Flow switches are VERY critical on this boiler, as are flow rates. If the flow is too slow, lime scale will percipitate out on to the internal surface of the coil and will cause sever heat transfer problems.

Conversely, if you're dealing with naturally soft or artificially soft water, the flow rate needs to be slowed down, or you will erode the heat exchanger away. Also, make sure you use an ASME rated storage tank due to the BTUH output and the temperature of operation (180 degrees F).

If you can't make a connection with the AO Smith people, come back here and I'll try and give you a hand.

Heres a kink to their web site that has a lot of technical stuff available. http://www.hotwater.com/frame.html?topage=techhome.htm

Go safely in your travels my friend.

ME
  • Tommy Stojanov
    Tommy Stojanov Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks Mark...

For the response. I know a few liscenced plumbers in the area, a neighbor of mine, a person very close to our family, and a few local HVAC guys. Yes, this is an ASME rated tank (or else I would not have bought it.) This unit is not new, If I were to buy a new unit I would likely just get a standard tank.
    I understand your concern for wanting a liscenced plumber do the plumbing half of the job, especially the design process; the work- I do not understand, it's soldering, or brazing when appropriate. I will see who I can get to help me, or just do the work. The gas line in this building is only 1"!!! Of course, there's no doubt in my mind the main regulator is cranked open, and that is the only way we survive with that size gas line. So, I will have Lockport gas upgrade our service, and I will run a separate line for the water heater and furnace string (I am located in Rochester, NY for those who want to know.) Also, so I don't start drawing from this flue, there will have to be a certain amount of make up air into the kitchen (have the velocitys, pressures, (taken from site) and cfm's of the units written down somewhere.) Wouldn't you figure that there is never a greek owned restaurant which actually has make up air that WORKS?? Also, figure I should add an outdoor air intake on the split system, I am in kind of close quarters to be making an economizer system out of it, but that's besides the point. I have contacted A.O. Smith recently, I am waiting for a response. THANKS!!
This discussion has been closed.