Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Labor Rates

Options
TBK1
TBK1 Member Posts: 14
Guys i would like to find out the average labor rates that you are charging or they are charging in your area. Here in the southeast the average seems to be 85.00 and hour. also do you charge a trip charge. thanks for the inputs!

Comments

• John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Labor

It's not a good idea to be talking about labor rates and what others charge on a public forum.It could be seen as price fixing.

What I charge an hour is based on what MY overhead is,which may be very different than what YOUR overhead may be.You need to know exactly what your cost of doing business is and not be concerned with what others are charging.For all you know they may be deep in dept and about to go bankrupt.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tom_10
    Tom_10 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    this neighborhood

Average around here (suburbs of NYC) are between 65.00 and 95.00/hr with trip charges outside 20 mile radius(plus tolls in some instances). This was just the topic at a local supply house this week and this is what I was hearing.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Overhead..................

is the thing that keeps you here or drives you out. I agree with you, Felcie. The "going rate" translates, in real life, into going out of business rate. I have different rates for each aspect of my business. Service, small contracting projects, larger contracting projects, diagnostic fees, design fees, etc. Each area differs in the amount of billable hours I can produce per week, hence the different rates. Also, net profits will vary with each project or service.

The first thing you need to do is forget what everyone else around you is charging. Then break down your business costs and work off of those numbers.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    The guys are right, you have to be careful......................

when discussing going rates. More important however, is that you really do need to know what it is costing you to "turn the key" in the shop door every morning. It is a hard row, but it will be eye opening and liberating. You gotta get Ellen Rohr's 2 books on this subject Mad Dog

This discussion has been closed.