Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new homeowner with banging and painting

Options
kyle turner
kyle turner Member Posts: 2
I'm a new homeowner with two questions: 1. The hotwater system with old radiators bang. I've bled all the radiators, but only the 1st floor ones release water and the 2nd floor never release water. I bleed the 2nd floor everyday and they only release air. My elementary understanding is that there is not enough pressure and/or water in the system. What do I do? Simply add water to the system? Also, I plan to paint a room, but after I've closed the supply valve to that particular radiator, water stills comes out when I try to disconnect the radiator. Has the valve failed or does the valve only reduce flow not stop it? How can I remove it, do I have to shut off the boiler alltogether? Thanks
P.S. Any suggestions for online resources is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Hey Kyle get a ..........................................

pro in there, and save yourself a lot of grief. Go to Find a Contractor on this site good luck mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Suggested Reading

"How Come" available at this site under "Books & More" should be REQUIRED for ALL owners of old hot water systems!! You'll gain a nice understanding of how the system used to work, why it is designed the way it is, and how it has been modernized.

Yes, it sounds as though your system is extremely low on water (or leaking). No, there is nothing wrong with your valves--they are intended only to regulate the flow of heat to the radiator. To remove a radiator the system must be drained below the connection point of the radiator being removed.

In addition to study, I highly recommend that you find a local heating firm to review your system. I say this as a hard-core do-it-yourselfer even. Not only will they check for proper (and safe) operation, but will help you understand the proper care and feeding.
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    What to do?

You should get someone to look at your system. Sounds like you have a water feed problem. Also get a "Hotdog" roller. It looks just like a hotdog and is great behind raditors,no need to remove. Hope this helps John@Reliable
This discussion has been closed.