Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purchase Radiant ONLINE???

Options
anthony_7
anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
I am looking for a good (meaning quality and price)site to purchase all my radiant online. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• George @ Dynamic Plumbing
    Options
    Online Radiant

Try Able Distributors at www.abledistributors.com
    You can also call them at 773-889-5555, and ask for Michael Bleier
    I think you will be pleased doing business with Able
    Good Luck
    George
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Why? No local help?

Anthony,

Did you try to find competent help locally? If you do decide to purchase a "system" from the Internet, here are some things you should demand.

1. A face to face meeting with someone from the company so you can discuss your wants and needs.

2. A thorough heat loss/gain and system design.

3. Specification sheets for all components being offered and why they are being offered.

4. What are their warranties and after installation service procedures.

5. Besure they have someone in the field available to assist you with issues that crop up on EVERY project.

6. Find a local contractor/designer and pay him to do all of your design work.

I'm sure there are other considerations. It's your money. Make sure it it spent wisely.

Warm Regards,

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Chris Maderia
    Chris Maderia Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Why?

Online. Let me ask a few questions. Did you have a RADIANT HEAT LOSS done for you? If so, then by who. Why not purchase it from them. I'm sure they didn't charge you for their time. Everyone thinks that they can install radiant heat. Why? Because it's flexbile. You can pretty much make quite a few mistakes and get away with it. For me, having been doing radiant design for 12 plus years, from simple bathrooms to Mansions on Fishers Isalnd NY I think most consumers of radiant heat are doing themselves wrong.

One has to ask themselves, What am I looking for? Fuel savings? Comfort? or How about what the whole object of radiant heat is. Both!!

Look at your project. Is solar gain an issue. Why? Let's say your installation is for tubing to be installed in the slab with either hardwood or tile as your finished floor surface. Now solar gain is an issue. What's your control strategy? Do you have a clue? This is where most installers/"so called" experts in radiant have problems. Why? Ask the internet guy that your buying your materials from.

I can go on and on why you shouldn't find an "Internet Supplier". But that will cost you the dime that you already aren't willing to spend.

Remember. You pay for what you get.
  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    System design and materials purchasing

At a recent meeting, contractors told me their number one income producer is going to sites and correcting improperly installed hydronic systems.

Fuel costs for properly designed and installed systems with sound control strategies use less fuel than systems which are not.

In one case, the thermal breaks weren't installed and the fuel costs were triple of what they could have been with a properly insulated system.

Non-condensing boilers who have too low of return temperatures do not have much of a life expectancy.

Improperly installed tubing may cause "striping" of the flooring requiring replacement of the flooring.

Heat loss calculations determine how the system works. When done incorrectly, the heat system will have potential overheating or cold areas in the home.

Want to save some money? Buy online, but keep your checkbook out, you've just started.

Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics Corporation
    www.precisionhydronics.com
  • anthony_7
    anthony_7 Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Not looking for system

I have my design done and got parts from the designer. I am just looking for an online supplier for odds and ends as my local guy has to order everything and takes up to 1 week for radiant stuff and is limited with one supplier. I would rather have the convenience of sitting on my couch if I know what I need. It spontaneous purchasing of necessary items. I do have half a brain sometimes and know what to leave to the experts. Thanks guys.

Beleive me I am in the computer business and I get "COMPUTER GUYS" trying to put together or fix there machines and before you know I am on the phone helping them for hours!!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    'ya better shop around

I live in an area where tube is about all that is stocked locally. Over the years I have found various companies to get the speciality parts from. I shop from Chicagc, KC, PA, and as far as Montana. Most all suppliers have websites or direct e mail to make shopping customer friendly.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.