Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Home in Oregon

Options
jim_15
jim_15 Member Posts: 6
No I haven't. But I will now.

Thanks Dan.

And thanks to whoever referred Scott Duehn at Specification Sales in Vancouver. I'll be talking with him too.

Thanks, all. I'll let you know how it turns out.

- Jim

Comments

• jim_15
    jim_15 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Finding a Contractor

Can anyone here recommend a contractor in the vicinity of Portland, Oregon who can design and install a heating & cooling system for my new house?

Having seen, and lived with, many different kinds of heating systems, I’ve decided that I want a radiant hydronic system *and* air conditioning in this house. I understand the challenges involved in such a system, especially since the floor finishes are to vary widely. The basement will have a partial concrete floor, and a partial plywood floor on sleepers finished with linoleum. First floor will be hardwood (T&G, not laminate.) and the second floor will be padded & carpeted. I understand the difficulty that this poses to the person designing the heating & cooling system, so I want to get an HVAC contractor onboard early, before the designs are complete. My thought is to use an oil boiler for heating and a Unico or Space pak cooling system, but I’m smart enough to go with whatever my contractor recommends.

Here’s my predicament: I can’t find a contractor.

I’ve called five so far. All recommended by other local heating guys who don’t do hydronic work. After describing my project, here’re they’re responses:

Contractor one: We put radiant on the first floor and heat the second floor with forced air. It’s easier that way.

Contractor two: We just do what Radiantec tells us.

Contractor three: If you really want to heat with water, you should use a hyro-air system, it’s the best of both worlds.

Contractor four: Hydronic? Really? Wow. I’ve always wanted to do one of those.

Contractor five: I don’t know . . . radiant heating’s really expensive. Are you sure you want to go that route?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone have any other advice for me at this stage of my home-planning?

BTW, I probably shouldn’t mention specific pricing on this board, but I’m planning on budgeting about twice the cost of a top-of-the-line heat pump. Is this reasonable?

Jim

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Have you talked to

Larry & Chuck's Heating in Portland? (503)232-5747
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.