Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An artist ?

Options
Mark A. Custis
Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
Bill:

I spent the first six years of my life two houses north of the main Nickle Plate roadway, in Lakewood Ohio. I remember all the soot as the steam giants chugged west out of downtown Cleveland, art maybe an understatement

Mark

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=268&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Watching TV

I was up late the other night, watching a TV special about Joni Mitchell. I have allways loved her music.

She was talking about being an artist. Either using colors on a canvess or sounds to create layers of warmth and tone. It got me thinking about creating art and how I enjoy it but do none.

The more I thought about it , I am kind of an artist, with my trade.

I want to create. I have a vision. I look at a blank space and create in my head before I build something that will last. Hopefully that will inspire others.

As an artist does I struggle to be understood. To find a "patron " that will allow me to create. Sometimes I struggle to survive and must sell myself to a customer who only wants a dog playing cards on a velvet sheet. Sometimes thats all the customer can afford, and thats O.K..

But every once in a while I find a "patron". Some who says " Yes , I understand, I see your vision of a space of warmth." And he gives me money to create and build. He heres me speak and feels my passion for what I do.

I am allowed to create a piece of art in his basement and install layers of warmth in his home. I am allowed a blank space to "paint" with my tools. I can setup my toolbox/easel
    and stand in his basement/studio and create a composition of hot and cold. Bright copper and dull steel.

My art lives in the basement for years as an example of my talent. Sometimes it inspires other.

YA, I am an artist in my way.

And so are you.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    A wonderful anology

I saw the same program. Joni Mitchell is an Icon. I'm going out to try and find a collection of her work at Borders today. My collection is limited to LP's and I only have Court and Spark on CD. (I bought the CD because it was my first record I bought when I moved away from home and went to college, and some recodrings bring us back to a place in time. nuff said) As far as being an artist anyone who has seen the work shown on the Wall knows that it is an art form. Our form is only constrained only by the function we are trying to achieve. A few weeks back someone put a picture of a P/S set up mounted on a board. Someone asked him why he brought to pipe back down at the end of the run instead of heading directly back to the boiler. I could see that he did it to achieve balance and symetry to his work of art. It cost him about 10 feet of pipe and a few fittings but the board was beautiful. My work has improved just seeing what the great artists of the Wall have shared with me. I am trying to move out of my Picasso/ Salvador Dali phase and emulate some of my friends on the Wall. My customers think my work's great but I know there's much room for growth.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Milne Plumbing

at the next Boston Art exhibit. I can hardly wait.

You are right Scott when I look at some of the pictures of installs here on the wall they are works of art. Even the mix of colors and symmetry. We should have an archive here on the wall showing all these works of art.
  • steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options

wonderfully said.

When people say it looks complcated I say It's not we just do that so you won't mess with it.

When they say how do you know where everything goes I say it's like a puzzle without the box.

When I see a Picasso I go outside and hurl, come back in and do what I can with what they can afford.

When they say it's looks beautiful I smile it's the only art I understand.
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Well said

Scott (Norman Rockwell) Milne. I can just see you standing there in the basement puffing on your pipe. :-)
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    This is art...

Ever watch the drive gear on a big steam locomotive moving at low speed? Talk about art! New York Central's J3 Hudsons, N&W's J's, UP's Challengers... I've got to get a life! Beautiful pipe work on that "You've got to check this out" post, the bar gets raised again!
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    NKP steam

Those NKP Berkshires were some great locomotives, one of best designs ever. A couple survive, but not in running condition. #759 is at Steamtown in Scranton, Pa. and another whose number escapes me is in the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania's collection in Strasburgh, Pa.
This discussion has been closed.