Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Butane Air systems

Options
I guess I am going to have to go to the books on this one.

Comments

• Anyone have info on Butane Air

systems and how to set them up. Combustion, inputs, pressures etc. Would be much appreciated as I have some clients who use Butane air as a fuel.
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Timmie

What do you mean by "Butane air"? Are you speaking of butane, IE..... same type of system as propane only different type of gas? Not any butane around here. It has a higher vapor temp than propane and when it hits about 10* it just quits. It ceases to evaporate at higher temps than propane.
  • eddie grierson_3
    eddie grierson_3 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Butane

Timmie I don't know anything about using butane, but I go to Mississippi every year on a hunting trip and I noticed down there a lot of the gas companies have butane in there name. I don't know if they sell it still or they just used to years ago. I asked some of the locals, they thought they were burning butane, I'm not sure about that. I noticed that most of the old houses didn't have central heating, they had a lot of small wall hung space heaters in multiple rooms.

Eddie G.
  • Have a company

New Hampshire Gas who send techs to me for training. I need to get some good info on converting natural gas to butane. I misplaced my Gas Engineers Handbook, or loaned it to someone and they did not return it.

• Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options
    numbers are ...

easily converted Timmie. the basics are easy - calorific value determines orifice sizing, and specific gravity determines pipe sizing - and yes you may have to calculate this via the low pressure formula. It is not a cold weather fuel - gas temp must be above 32 deg F to get the stuff to move. Mixtures can run from 600 - 900 btu/cf so once you know that - the rest is just math. It is heavier than air so all precautions re propane are valid. Thankfully - butane/air mixes have gone the way of the dodo bird in this area - but some industrial sites still have equipment set up for emergency butane gas supplies.
  • john wood
    john wood Member Posts: 44
    Options
    How about propane air?

These systems are set up at the terminal equipment (the boiler, stove etc.) Just as you would natural gas. The LP/air systems are usually a stand by system for natural gas and as such should be the same setup as is called for on the (NG) appliance name plate.

d'Zis help??
  • Thanks guys

I have some info. thanks for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.