Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An HD chuckle

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
Unemployed Laborers Corner Home Depot

The New York Times reports that West Coast Hispanic day laborers are hanging out in Home Depot parking lots in hopes of finding work from the store's customers. Many have been laid off from casual jobs in landscaping and construction. Home Depot is taking steps, such as hiring private security firms, to keep the workers off the premises. The article states: "What the company hopes to prevent at its 1,400 locations is disorder. Whenever a contractor or housewife calls on the men, a stampede ensues..."

Comments

• J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Kinda .....

puts a damper on their contractors for hire list eh ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Uncontrollable

competition...

Now, if there was some way to franchise these caballeros, and make some kind of commission off them, it'd be a different matter. Given time, HD will figure out a way to capitalize on it. Mark my word...

Wonder what the department of labor and employment thinks of this scenario. Surely the HO's and GC's are paying these guys witholding taxes and workmens compensation, right...

CHARGE!!!!

ME

ME
  • MURPH'
    MURPH' Member Posts: 88
    Options
    cheep parts...

and cheep labor, wut a combination. we reap wut we sow. Hee Hee!!

Murph'
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    We don' need no steenkin green card!

We have a client who uses almost 100% Mexican labor. First wave is checked, but when his crunch time comes to get the work done - he simply hints about needing more help & by the next morning...... POOF, there's as many willing to work laborers as needed. No questions asked. They work from sun up to sun down and damned hard work too. Aside from their living expenses, which are minimal, the money they get goes home to support their families. Taking work away from US folks? Not really. The work they're doing is work most US folks wouldn't touch.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Frank_3
    Frank_3 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Take a break, Murph

>> And get rid of that unwanted jewlery and cash you have laying around !!

So, immigrant laborers are thieves in your book? I don't think you want opinions like that getting out into public distribution. You may end up finding your circle of friends and supporters shrinking quickly.

How much immigrant blood is there in the Murphy heritage, and what opinions about the Irish immigrants would you like to see extinguished?

Yes, you reap what you sow.
  • MURPH'
    MURPH' Member Posts: 88
    Options
    yup, you are correct

frank I edited the post.I got out of hand relating one instance to any or all. What a sik sence of humor I have at times.not at all PC.I guess you do not reply to email.To tell you the truth ,I thought i was replying to someone else.

Murph' (sos)

(thanks for the edit button Dan)
  • Rich_2
    Rich_2 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    It isn't right

They may work hard , but don't we all. No taxes make good money and think they should have a "hall" or a center provided so they can conduct buisness! HA! Let them foot the bill and report their earnings
  • eleft_4
    eleft_4 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    workers

The food industry is the perfect example of what PAH is bringing up. Field harvesters, with out them we and the farmers will starve.

al
  • Jeff Lawrence_5
    Jeff Lawrence_5 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Talking

I was talking to a manager of the local HD at the grocery store.

He told me they were doing away with a lot of the contractor stuff and going after the Ken & Barbie (Homeowner/DIY) crowd. He gave the example of the 160 foot rolls of concrete reinforcing wire. He also mentioned the name of the new Prez of HD in particular and asked if the had stock in one of the HD clones.
This discussion has been closed.