Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

? about home heating/boiler if you know about them please step i

Options
Joe.G
Joe.G Member Posts: 213
(I may sound like I know what i am doing but I just learen this as I go along please tell everything even if you think I may know how to do it thanks a million)
I had to drain my boiler in my house do to a leak, I am now unsure about how much pressure i need to put back in it, I auto feed stops at 12 lb and My blow off valve pops at 30 lb. I have a old boiler that heats my shower water and also feeds water to the old style cast iron radiator which are hot water not steam. My house has a basement 1st and 2nd floor. also what should the expansion tank read when there is no pressure in the system? it is pre charged from the factory at 12 psi.Thanks a lot

P.S what happens if I have to much pressure (but not enough to pop the blow valve, and what happens if I don't have enough? thanks

The expansion tank is a extrol I think it is a number 30 which comes fom the factory at 12 psi,the only reason I need to check it is becasue some one let some air out. Is a oil burner with a cast iron body i think it is made by york heat. If I set it to 18 psi cold which it is at now is that ok? it will probably get up to about 26 when it is hot, are there any benfits to a high pressure? any cons? and when should I check this temp? when the boiler has been off for a hour? 2 hours? thanks

Comments

• nick z.
    nick z. Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Press.??

You can set your boiler press. @12lbs. when its cold or hot and it will work fine. Higher press. than that is usally only neccasary when the house is over 2 stories.The press. is really only there to lift the water.(2.3lbs=1ft.of lift)
    As for the exp. tank, thatr should be at 12 with no press. on the system. vIf you try to check with press. on the system you will only read the system press. You didn't mention bleeding the system after filling remember when your done bleeding the press should be back to 12lbs.
  • Joe.G
    Joe.G Member Posts: 213
    Options

My auto feed which is set to 12 lbs should take care of that right? I am going to manualy fill it to 12lbs and then let teh auto feed maintain that pressure. The auto feed should maintain that pressure even after while am bleeding correct? and the expansion tank which is a extrol model 30 should I set it at 12 factory setting or up to 14 like some people said? thanks
This discussion has been closed.