Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Load Calcs. ?

Options
Jamie_6
Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
What load calcs. do you guys like to use for radiant, cooling, and heating?

Jamie

Comments

• Mark A. Custis
    Mark A. Custis Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Someone said, \"A BTU is a BTU.\", and

I find this to be true after 25 plus years of messing with other peoples comfort and money. All the computorized stuff I see goes back to the old manual "J". I have some what of a problem allowing calculators in high school math classes, even though my kid just earned, with five years of high school math, a grant to attend Tulane University, using one throughout her education to date.

I have my favorite programs, and have yet to do a complete manual "manual J" calculation. So I speak with a forked tounge, at least I 've yet to get it peirced. The real trick is to do the calculation. More is not better, in all cases, so you need to know what size stuff will do the job correctly. To KNOW what size is correct ya got ta do da math.

Start with ACCA, then find something you feel comfortable with. I use Writesoft via Roth industries. If I have a questionable number from them I check against the Slant Fin program (Free here for the asking), or the Weil McLain PAL stuff.

My point is do the math and you will not be playing with other peoples money, they will be paying a professional.

Good Luck,

Mark

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Frank_3
    Frank_3 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    HVAC-CALC

I've used Hvac-Calc, and it seems to be pretty comprehensive. The version I have does not have any radiant heat allowance, though you could just make the change yourself since the program allows lots of flexibility in setting parameters.

Hvac-Calc home page
  • Boonierat
    Boonierat Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Load calc's

I used to think a BTU is a BTU is a BTU is a BTU but have sense learned that HOW you loose 'em is as critical.
    I can do a calc using the manual J math ( for convective heat jobs) and get XXX. Then When I input the same data with ANYONE's 'Radiant-calc-program' I've seen lower numbers, sometimes to the tune of 25 to 30%. Spooked the dickens outta me in the begining. Since then I've learned how the infiltration numbers in buildings heated by radiant-vs-convective really drop; you're not heating as much air.To answer your question about WHAT I use, I use Radiantworks from Watts-Radiant. I find the Assumption Report that it produces to be an incredible tool for putting the onus of responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the person building the structure. Prevents 'stuff' from falling-through-the-cracks.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ray M_2
    Ray M_2 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Heat loss

I have been using Wrightsoft for the last 5 years.The new version has manual J8.This program has alot of different modules you can add.Hope this helps.

Ray m

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.