Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

question about onix tubing fromwatts radiant

Options
robert_5
robert_5 Member Posts: 5
thinking about using onix tubing in the near future,but unsure about the tubing?
heard good and bad things about the aluminun stretching and allowing air into the system. any help pls.

Comments

• zeb_3
    zeb_3 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Have used it

many times and in my own home, great results, no problem w/ any aluminum issue. Much easier to work w/ than pex and a little more $.
  • John@WattsRadiant
    John@WattsRadiant Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Onix

Just a material property of the EPDM rubber that is used in Onix, it does not expand and contract with changes in temperature. I'm not sure how the aluminum would ever expand in the tubing.
    JOhn
  • robert_5
    Options

I actually heard of rough installation, where the installers stretched the tubing allowing oxygen into the system!!!!
    the installer had to replace the boiler,found the aluminum stretched inside the tubing after stripping the tubing!!
    don't kow if the installer was trying to protect his reputation through bad mouthing the product or not?
  • DennisB
    DennisB Member Posts: 5
    Options
    onix tubing

As a wholesaler I have sold Heatway products for the last 12 years and have had no problems at all with the onix that they make. It installs easier than pex pipe so the labor savings makes up for the differnce in the cost.
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    I Have

800 feet in my house since 1997. 135° F design temp. No problems. In real nasty [many obstructions] it is much easier to install than pex
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Man!

I'd love to have been there when someone tried "stretching" Onix! Was he trying to pull a cement truck out of a snowbank?

How could the aluminum stretch INSIDE and nothing happen to the rubber OUTSIDE?

Sounds fishy.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Lot's of installations

and very, very, very few problems. One 6.5 million and one 3.5 million dollar house, all 1/2" staple up. No aluminum plates, no heat striping complaints, ever! I have only had one complaint about lack of heat..my fault! Usual complaint is by the drywallers, mud drys to fast. I had a contractor that had a bad staple gun, put 30 or 40 staples through the hose before he figured it out, lots of repair kits. Insulation contractors that don't speak english. A tekmar dip switch in the wrong position. An architect that changed the direction and spacing of the floor joists, and didn't tell me. Onix, is a joy to work with. You lay it on the floor and it stays there, won't spring up and wup you in the head. Install at 20 degrees F...no problem.
    And for that final word...I still won't buy a GoodYear tire or product. 'nuff said.
    Art

• robert_5
    Options

Thankyou to all that responded to my questions about the tubing!!!
    I guess I needed some reassurances about the tubing,well I guess I need to have more experience in the field!!
This discussion has been closed.