Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam problems corrected :)

Options
With the help of steamhead and others on this board,which a big thank you goes out to. After posting here I found out what type of system this was. Problems on job was short cycling,high fuel bills, uneven heat. The mains were not insulated, insulated mains, flushed return lines, skimmed and cleaned boiler, replaced the pressuretrol which was set at 2 psig with a vaporstat set at 8 ozs. This is a Weil Mclain SGO 3, which has the Beckett Series 2 AFG burner. W/M stated a nozzle of .85 70 degree set at 140 psig, which is a firing rate of 1.01 gph. The nameplate on the boiler states a max firing rate of .95. I asked W/M about this and did not get any reply. I have downfired this burner, to where I felt that no harm would be put on the flue. Flue temp is not to low to cause condensation in chimney. Also I contacted Gorton and replaced all vents. Results of my work, even heat thru out the house,system now cycles off on temp thru the stat before cycling on pressure. God I love old steam systems, and to bring them back to operation as they were designed for.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.