Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-Mclain tankless coil confusion

Options
Paul E.
Paul E. Member Posts: 7
I have a Weil-Mclain EG50 boiler running one-pipe steam in the house. I would like to add a single radiant zone, 6,000BTU heat loss, 250 ft of PEX. I thought the tankless loop option for the Weil-Mclain looked attractive - I think I could eliminate a heat exchanger and a circulator on the boiler side and simplify things.

However - I was looking thru the Weil-Mclain installation manual and on the pages where they explain installation of the tankless coil, at the top of the page they say something to the effect of "tankless coil option is only available as a factory installed item". Huh? So is it field-installable or not?

Thanks.

-- Paul

Comments

• Dana
    Dana Member Posts: 126
    Options

I believe you have to order this boiler with a suffix T to get a section in the block with a tankless opening. If there is no tankless plate then without ordering the section and installing it in the field, you can't.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    But you could do the tankless

as an add-on external.
    Check out www.tfi-everhot.com
  • Paul E.
    Paul E. Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Re: Weil-Mclain tankless coil confusion

I do indeed have the tankless opening w/the blank plate.

Another question - re the 3/4" center opening on the tankless coil - they say it's for a control/sensor of some sort - can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Dana
    Dana Member Posts: 126
    Options

If your using the tankless to make domestic hot water, which is what its intended for, then you need a control to keep the boiler at a minimum temperature during non heating season. That tapping is for that control. In your case you would mount an aquastat there and wire the relay for the heat zone through this aquastat on its way to the burner. On a call for heat the relay closes, starting the pump and the burner circuit through the aquastat.
This discussion has been closed.