Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

watts sub-ray

Options
harvey
harvey Member Posts: 153
has anyone used this floor sleeper system? It seems to be alot different than quik-track or climate panels. what's your opinion?

Comments

• John@WattsRadiant
    John@WattsRadiant Member Posts: 49
    Options
    SubRay

I'm pretty sure Dave Yates did a job with SubRay. He could give you some feedback.
    John
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,227
    Options
    Sub-Ray

This is a small radiant wall I did using sub-Ray. I liked the product - well built, well engineered. My only issue with it is that it is an odd thickness. You can't use 1/2" CDX to fill in unheated areas. -DF

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Sub-Ray

This is a small radiant wall I did using Sub-Ray in a bath remodel. I thought the product was solid and well engineered. Watch the oddball thickness of the Sub-Ray - you can't "fill in" with 1/2" CDX. -DF

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Light House Radiant Job

Great product with tremendous design flexability. Working an eight-sided floor plan was a snap with Sub Ray.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,540
    Options
    That's

my new home office. Nice job, Dave!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Thanks Dad!

A four-story timber framed dream home - sits perched atop a mountain overlooking Raystown Lake in western PA.

Radiant powered by an MZ. Can't afford any chances of a call back as the round trip would eat up 7 hours of driving time all by itself! Right now, she's hung with ropes and strapping off of the floor till they get around to pouring the concrete in the mechanical room. Flying MZ's!

• hot_rod
    Options
    Hey DF

Did you receive a phone call from a lady looking to do her home "green" (four bathrooms + radiant)?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Hey DY

Dave,

I haven't heard from her yet. She had better catch me soon because I leave at 7am tomorrow (weather permitting) for a week in Lake Tahoe. I will call you when I return. I want to talk to you about doing some RPA training. -DF

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    An interesting product

I'd call it a miniture joist bay heating system. The tube free floats in the 2" wide space. It is not attached to the floor or sides. It's held tightly in the return bends at the ends.

The Baltic birch is a very substancial product, excellent nail holding ability and very consistent dimension wise, although metric sized on the thickness. Doesn't splinter, crack, and delam like inexpensive CDX grade plywoods. A nice touch.

I stay away from bang/ bang controls and wide temperature swings, as the tube really does the mambo when the heat hits it. Not sure if that movement could be heard though the floor coverings. depends on the customer, as we all know :)

The use of standard 3/8" tube is a plus, in my mind. PAP would be a little more stable for this application, me thinks :)

Oh, and the scraps are fun for small woodworking projects.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options
    Fill-in

Dave, what did you use to fill-in areas or gaps between the sub-ray? DF says you can't use 1/2" CDX.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    fill

We haven't tackled the void areas yet. Hardwood is going down over the Sub Ray.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Fill in with

That Baltic birch plywood is readily available at cabinet shops and some lumber yards. It's commonly used to build drawers and cabinet fronts. It measures either 15 or 18mm, (.590 or .708 if my math is correct :) 18mm is a tad over 5/8" to fit 1/2" pex. Standard U.S. sized plywood isn't exactly the same.

Order some spare from Watts Radiant if it is not available in your area.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
This discussion has been closed.