Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new construction...

Options
c
c Member Posts: 1
oh boy - it feels like there is an insurmountable mountain of information I am having troubles digesting...

It's probably best if I just state the issues... although I suspect the answer is hydro-air system...

BUT I don't know what sort of cost difference I'm looking at...

It's a big family - but some rather float "in and out". We are looking at constructing a 3,800 sq foot colonial in southeastern, ma. We plan to finish the attic space (it will be built with walk-up stairs) and finish the walk-out basement. We plan on the basement *really* being a part of the living space, and will build the stairs open and of the same quality as the foyer stairs to the 2nd floor.

The builder tends to build using two zoned forced air with central vac, and two 50 gal. water heaters, but doesn't usually expect both attic and basement to be finished. The home will have well water, and natural gas.

I'm considering using one heating system for the basement and 1st floor, and the second system for the 2nd and attic. I'm interested in dehumidifiers, humidifiers, and air purifiers with air to air heat exchange... I figure when I have a family member go, at least I can close the vents in the room...

But - now, all this has me pondering - maybe we should consider a hydro-air system... But, I'm kind of afraid about how much it is initially going to cost. On the other hand, now really *is* the time to do this part right.

I would think we could save on the two 50 gal. water heaters - and actually give ourselves more space. It would be real nice to have radiant heat under the tile floors in the kitchen, baths, and foyer - But, if the price is shocking, I'm going to start knitting sweaters and slippers.

Can anyone out there offer some ball park range about the prices we are talking about here? Advice and opinion?

I really thank you in advance for your consideration!
This discussion has been closed.