Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

atmospheric vs. power burner

Options
Jim Davis
Jim Davis Member Posts: 305
> I want to convert a Weil- Mclain 66 series oil <BR>
> boiler to natural gas. My father had always said <BR>
> that a power burner is about 10% more efficient <BR>
> than an atmospheric burner, but a local gas <BR>
> company service man thinks otherwise. Which is <BR>
> correct? Also, is a combustion chamber necessary <BR>
> when converting to gas? <BR>
<BR>
Definitely want to use a power burner. Many burner companies make a flame retention gas burner that has a short flame and will work just like your present oil burner. The barometric will have to be changed to a double acting gas type and the burner needs to be set up with an analyzer. Make sure burner is size for maximum boiler input.

Comments

• Rodger B
    Rodger B Member Posts: 1
    Options
    atmospheric vs. power burner

I want to convert a Weil- Mclain 66 series oil boiler to natural gas. My father had always said that a power burner is about 10% more efficient than an atmospheric burner, but a local gas company service man thinks otherwise. Which is correct? Also, is a combustion chamber necessary when converting to gas?
  • Dana
    Dana Member Posts: 126
    Options

It would be the design of the boiler and how much of the heat from the burner it uses that is how effeciency is rated, not so much the burner itself. As far as a combustion chamber goes, you have to know what yuor doing. Its probably a wet base boiler and you may not need one. If its a dry base boiler you will. Some only require a target wall and some protection for the door the burner mounts in. This is not a job I would recommend anyone attempting but a professional. You could very easily hurt yourself and/or the equipment.
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    What is the vent material?

I don't advise changing fuels in a boiler unless it has that option from the factory. Since this America, it opens you up to legal action in the event of failure. Unless you line the existing chimney with high grade stainless steel, you are going to have some serious issue with the vent.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The wet base 66 Weil

will work very well w/ a quality gas conversion burner. Installed several of these, boiler & burner together, in the early 80's.

Used a Carlin G3 Gas Burner. Rolled wet pac across the floor & up the back wall. Carlin's pre-mix and short flame pattern took care of the excess CO that comes w/ many conversion burners and their long flame patterns.

Carlin is @ 1-800-989-2275. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Field

number for that double acting barometric is MG1.
This discussion has been closed.