Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Staple up and Aqua -Pex couplings?

Options
GAverill_2
GAverill_2 Member Posts: 20
Is there a concern in doing a remodel with staple up radiant heating in a residence, where the plumber has run new water lines in Wirsbo Aqua-Pex with the expander pex fittings,in some of the same floor joists?
As a representative competiting with Wirsbo, we hear complaints about leaks in these fittings when installed 'cold'. We do not want to solve a comfort problem by creating problems with the plumbing system in this home.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Propex Fittings

I am a certified trainer for Wirsbo's aquapex. The tubing can sustain up to 1200psi before ductile failure occurs and the propex (expanded) fitting will still hold. It is a well designed system. I would not think twice about the quality level. If you have questions or concerns, please call me. You have my number. I had the stadler viega reps in last week and they tried telling me that you had to use a heat gun on every expanded fitting. Totally false, we all know what a competitive market it is out there and reps are trying to differentiating pex lines with less than responsible statements. I do not bleed Uponor "Green" but a 42% national market share speaks volumes about quality control, integrity, and vision for the future. Love to discuss this more and hear if others have similars concerns

Paul Rohrs

Lincoln Winnelson
  • Paul Rohrs_2
    Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Not my intent

It was not my intent to sound negative or be a defensive mode,my apoligies. I was looking at the post and want to note that Aquapex is Wirsbo's non-barrier tube. If this is used in a heating application, non-ferrous components would be required. If it is just a Domesticpotable situation, it will be fine.

PR
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Wirsbo

We've instaled many miles of Aquapex in the last 5-6 years that we've been useing it.I'm very happy with the system and the support we get from Wirsbo.

The propex fitting can be a little finniky in the cold weather.Hold the last pump a little too long and it could be days before it shrinks back enough to hold pressure.On stuff assembled in the cold we usually hit the fittings real quick with a heat gun to speed up the process.The good think is,is there are very few fiting when piped in the home run method.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pex holding up with the temperatures of a staple up system,but I would prefer to see it on the opposit side of the insulation if it were me.Running cold water and heat lines right next together makes for warm cold water lines.We have used this to our advantage in craw spaces where freezing is a problem.

I don't think I could ever go back to copper.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John Jr
    John Jr Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Staple up

With reading this post the keys words are staple up for radiant heating. If the plumber used Aqua-Pex he needs to make sure he uses bronze circulators and non-ferrous materials as Paul stated. As far as the pressure I think 1200 psi is way out there. I have in person seen the tubing blow at 257 psi when in 180 deg water this was at the Wirsbo factory in the quaility control room.

As for the couplings they work the same as the propex fittings connected to the manifold and we do these everyday with no problems. When it is cold you can do as John stated or just hold your hand on it for a minute or two.

Beware with Aqua-Pex for heating systems. He should of used Hepex.

John Jr
  • GAverill_2
    GAverill_2 Member Posts: 20
    Options

Thanks for the responses. We had mentioned to the contractor that it would make sense to seperate the plumbing and heating pex in every joist space-which we will definately now do. Pressure on the system in rural S.E. Nebraska was not a concern either, as it is only about 55 pounds.
    My only concern was the potential to cause leaks in the expanded fittings, which I am no longer concerned with. As competitors of Wirsbo, we know well their strengths-and the opportunities to sell against them. Some technical answers such as this are a different story, and I again appreciate your responses.

• Beware why ( if non-ferrous components are used with a heat exchanger of course)? I've been involved with dozens and dozens of aquapex heating jobs and it works just fine... Is your concern with glycol breakdown?

• John Jr
    John Jr Member Posts: 210
    Options
    The point was

to make sure you use non ferrous materials when using aqua-pex.

John Jr
This discussion has been closed.