Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard ,whats' the proper height

Options
show the baseboard sitting on a 3/4 inch board above the floor. This helps ensure that the vents won't be blocked by carpeting and provides a nice straight edge for carpet layers to lay the carpet too. As with most things in installation instructions, they are rarely read and usually ignored..... the "we always done it this way" bit.

Boilerpro

Comments

• gas man
    gas man Member Posts: 16
    Options
    baseboard

working on a boiler today ,electrical problem fixed -customers asked could I explain why on the coldests' days why can he wasn't able to get the temperature above 65 degrees.it was easy ,once i saw that all of his baseboards were practically sitting on the floors or rug. the largest space was about 1/2'' off the floor . I suggested that he have them all raised , wasn't sure what the recommended height was ; I figured there was a recommended height to hardwood foors , with allowances for a possible rug to be installed . appreciate your answers! thanks !
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    baseboard

Fintube baseboard should be installed so that the rear baseplate is above the finish floor height. On hardwood it sits on the hardwood. If carpet is going on top of hardwood keep it up 3/4-1" The key is that the free air is not restricted under the front of the face plate. If the air flow is blocked heat is dramatically restricted. BB uses convective air currents to transfer heat to the room. BB looks goofy I think if it is mounted too high. Just account for floor covering.
  • KevMcG
    KevMcG Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Not sure

If you mean the bottom of the front cover is only 1/2" or the back part of the base board.
    I imagine as long as there is room for air to be convected from the bottom threw the fins it should not be a problem.
    Sounds more like their problem is there isn't enough radiation. On extremely cold days they should try turning the Aquastat higher than 180 (maybe 190-200).
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 360
    Options

The standard actually for any baseboard is 3/8 inches. The carpet layer then can tuck the carpet under the baseboard so the carpet doesn't effect the natural convection that occurs. If it is to high the carpet installer can't get his tack strip under the baseboard so they will actually just let it sit there and block the baseboard.
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 360
    Options

I just thought of something... If the baseboard heats at all it is getting convection. I agree with the temperature theory. However if you run your boiler temp to 190-200 degrees you are going to run into a whole world of problems. Anything from the Pipe insulation melting to your dialectric unions melting and even your T&P popping off. Realistically you should calculate a heat loss and see if at the current operating temperature and feet of baseboard match the load for one of those cold days you speak of.
  • Bob Cat_3
    Bob Cat_3 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    What about

I think that a heat loss should be done on the house but more than likely you'll find that the house has no insulation. How old is the house? What type of baseboard is it? castiron, or tin(like slantfin)? I don't see a problem with rasing the temp. You will not have any trouble with insulation melting, that is if the proper insulation is on the pipe. And most of the boilers I've installed only had pressure relief not a t&p. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Bob Cat
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,161
    Options
    I agree b-cat

perform a heat loss calc to check the radiation, beef up the insulation of the structure where ever possible.

Possibly adding a boiler reset control that would allow higher supply temperatures on real cold days, and allow you to ramp back, and save energy on milder days.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Height of Baseboard

There should be as much clearance as there would be if the basebaord was mounted with the back panel down to the wood floor and there was nto any carpet installed.

Remember that the amount of heat produced by a baseboard is very much dependant on the convective air flow. A small restriction in air flow will significantly reduce the heat output.

Sure, increasing the water temperature will increase the output, but will do so for all of the spaces. You may then overheat the spaces where the baseboard allows full air flow. Top be sure, raise the baseboard if you can.

Steve
This discussion has been closed.