Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wall radiant question

Options
is it nessesary to have heat diffussion plates for a wall heating system. this is for my own house and ive never tried a wall panel before. I'm my own guinea pig here. I wanted to use pex-al-pex cause I'm not sold on the ''film'' oxygen barrier of pex tubing. The wall will have drywall and ceramic tile on it. But I cant seem to find any transfer plates for kitec. any thoughts?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    What size Kitec?

3/8 or 1/2" should fit fine in the Radiant Engineering Thermo Fin. Weil or Wirsbo PAP is what I use. The 1/2" U fins work great for wall applications.

Here is a shower wall with U fin and PAP.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • john wood
    john wood Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Maybe try the kitec brand plates?

Guarantee they fit!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    how come they dont

show plates in their catalog? least the one i have...everything else..no plates shown?
  • Hotrod

What do you use to protect the tubing from a stray sheetrock screw ? Do they make special metal strips to screw to the stud ?
  • Jack_18
    Jack_18 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Radiant Wall Heat

John Seigthaler(??)has a whole article on this. He used it in in his office. He stripped 3/4"OSB into 8" strips nailed across studs with 1" space for heat plates. He used the O2 barrier PEX.
  • Bill Wright_2
    Bill Wright_2 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Actually ...

John used Pex-Al-Pex.

There is a great article in "The Journal of Light Construction" -- I can send you a reprint if you are interested.

In the article he says that he chose PAP because "its rate of thermal expansion and contraction is much lower than that of standard PEX, reducing the possibility of 'ticking' sounds as the system warms up and cools down."

The article is fairly detailed on John's sizing, component selection and installation methodologies.

Bill Wright
This discussion has been closed.