Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Boiler Goodies - Yes or No?

Options
Tom M.
Tom M. Member Posts: 237
> Having a system installed (oil boiler w/two air <BR>
> handlers). AC to come in the future. What do <BR>
> people think of the following "goodies"? If they <BR>
> are a good thing, I will have my contractor do <BR>
> them. <BR>
> <BR>
> Variable speed air handlers vs. fixed <BR>
> speed. Are the VS that much more efficient? <BR>
> Garber Spin on Oil Filter? <BR>
> <BR>
> Digital Thermostat <BR>
> (installed by contractor vs. Home Depot versions) <BR>
> 2-line vs. 1-line oil line system. <BR>
> <BR>
> Thanks so <BR>
> much for all of your help <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• GCM
    GCM Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Oil Boiler Goodies - Yes or No?

Having a system installed (oil boiler w/two air handlers). AC to come in the future. What do people think of the following "goodies"? If they are a good thing, I will have my contractor do them.

Variable speed air handlers vs. fixed speed. Are the VS that much more efficient?

Garber Spin on Oil Filter?

Digital Thermostat (installed by contractor vs. Home Depot versions)

2-line vs. 1-line oil line system.

Thanks so much for all of your help
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    goodies

Variable speed is good if you're doing a lot of zoning off each air handler and may be a good option depending on air speed needed. It may depend on your system's requirement and availability of "off-the -shelf" units that match your cfm needs.
    Garber makes an excellent filter. Make sure and install a vacuum gauge as directed.
    Digitals are great. Get on from your heating professional.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    1 vs. 2 pipe

With today's environmental responsibility issues and the equipment avaialable, there is no reason to use a two pipe system on any standard installation. Your local oil burner code and manufacturer's instructions along with your particular situation (cold oil, tank location, elevation of burner vs tank) should govern how the line is configured. Also, definitely go with the Garber. I use one on every installation.
  • jim f
    jim f Member Posts: 182
    Options

variable spped air handlers are the way to go if you have a zoned system. i would also recomend a bypass damper if it is zoned also.we put in a lot of carrier variable speed air handlers that have a smart board that will change your cfm's,a/c tonage, fan delay, etc.it also has capabilities to provide super dehumidifing mode and constant fan for constant air movement....make sure you go with a thermamatic expansion valve on your a/c coil....0ne line oil piping arrangement is my recomendation.but as the previous post stated it all depends on the location of tank.tiger loop might be an alternitive to a 2 pipe setup......i wouldn't fool around with your local home distributors thermostats.....would stay with a digital programable thermostat utilizing a common terminal from the source to eliminate battery failure....
    good luck.........other options to think about would be steam humidification (ewc s2020 is a nice model)....zoning controls ( ewc ncm300 - comes with a low and high temp sensor).maybe some ultra violet air cleaners,all this is just my experience and opinions.
    jim f. milford, ct.
This discussion has been closed.