Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

slab sensors

Options
Here's a couple photos of a sensor well for a thin slab. Hot Rod deserves the credit for posting the idea some time ago. I used 1/2 NM conduit from box to floor and inserted a 1/2" copper straight stub. A moto-tool 1/2 sanding drum is perfect for reaming the conduit so the stub will fit and a LITTLE conduit cement seals it in place.

Best Regards

DZ

Comments

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    slab sensors

When you install radiant in a slab is it highly recommended that a slab sensor be installed with the T-stat. Will there be problems with control. The job I have is a 25x30 family/work room. Will a regular air t87 be ok.kpc
  • Daniel Paul_2
    Daniel Paul_2 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Floor sensors

I like to install them or at least a sleeve for one, because it seems that depending on how you sold the job, the home owner, after all is said and done, is always looking for the floor to be warm. If they have children who are on the floor a lot this a good idea.

Danny (keeping feet warm everywhere)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Depends on

what the slab is used for. I like slab sensors/ air sensor stats in tile bathrooms. It's nice to control that surface temperature within a few degrees. They also allow a not to exceed or a minimum setting.

However in a shop area it is not so critical or noticeable if the slab varies 5 degrees of more.

There are a bunch of nice dual stats on the market. The tekmar 500 series, also sold under the Wirsbo label are sweet.

The Danfoss MTD are nice, but lack the digital display, which homeowners prefer, I find. Also sold under the RTI brand.

I agree with adding the well for adding or replacing the sensor. You also may need an extra conductor back to the boiler room, from the stat location, depending on the brand.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • KCA_2
    KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Slab sensors

For the floor to feel "Warm" it needs to be about 80deg plus. Don't you find that that will overheat the room?

I use slab sensors too but usually only in a garage or area where there is an overhead door. I don't want the air change to overheat the slab..

:-) Kca
    :-) Ken
This discussion has been closed.