Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving to hydronic heat

Options
Steve_10
Steve_10 Member Posts: 1
I currently have a house that is heated with forced hot air and an air conditioner is also hooked up to it.

The furnace is dying and I will need to buy a new one this summer, if it makes it that long. However, our ultimate goal is to remodel the house and move to either hot water baseboards or radiant floor heating.

Is it possible to find a furnace this summer that I can use to continue to heat the house with hot air, until I am ready to remodel? Then switch over to hydronic heat. Or do I need to purchase a forced hot air furnace and then purchase another furnace when we remodel?

Also, where can I find the "radiant" baseboards, that look like molding vs the more traditional hot air "slant fin" type of baseboards.

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• KCA_2
    KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    You might try

A coil in the plenum of the existing furnace that is run by a boiler, lets say..
    Then you have the heating source for the hydronic system that you'll eventually install. Get it sized correctly for the eventual use and then make sure that the boiler doesn't cycle to often with the coil. Maybe a two stage gas valve might work well..Or better yet.. A buffer tank to hold "excess" BTU's and cut the cycles down on the boiler. Get a pro!

Hope this helps a little..

:-) Kca
    :-) Ken
  • ta finnegan
    ta finnegan Member Posts: 121
    Options
    If it was my money.

I guess I'd wait unitl I was ready to remodel. Just in case the sizing an design of what you ultimately want to do makes your interim expenditure for nothing.

Wait, get a pro and do it right.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.