Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drop what you are doing.. (hr)

Options
tombig
tombig Member Posts: 291
The "Cool Tool Man" strikes again. Checked out a T drill at the AHR show. Awesome but price tells me I'll have to wait

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options

and check out this tool. I have to hang some tube runs from metal joist on a job soon. So I purchased this clever all thread cutter.

Small and light enough to keep on the scaffold or in the man lift. It will shear short pieces,and every piece I tried, the threads were in perfect shape.

I've used porta bands, abrasive cutters and dry cut saws. This is much easier to use, doesn't require a cord, and leaves a perfect thread. Check it out.

http://www.muprousa.com/threaded_rod_cutter.htm

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That....

would have saved me a butt load of time on the Target job. We were using 3/8" through 5/8" Will it hanmdle 5/8"?

ME
  • hot_rod
    Options

A larger size is apparently in the works. 5/8".. WOW big stuff you hanging. I would guess 3/8' would be the most popular size for residential and light commercial stuff.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • kevin_5
    kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    I really don't need this

I'm always a sucker for a new tool, and I get enough neat ideas without you guys helping me out! :-) Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bill Riordan_3
    Bill Riordan_3 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Threaded Rod

> I'm always a sucker for a new tool, and I get

> enough neat ideas without you guys helping me

> out! :-) Kevin

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 270&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

I have a similiar tool made by Greenlee. Saves tons of time.
  • Jim Walls_2
    Jim Walls_2 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    I Like it !

will this one only do 3/8" or will it cut a variety of sizes 1/4,5/16,1/2", I saw ME's post 5/8 is out (for now)Also, how big is the tool, approx.,is it akward to use in a lift. I checked the website & did not see any specs,office was not open. Thanks, for the post Hot Rod, we go through an awful lot of all thread.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    3/8\" only

I tried 1/4". No go. I think it has to do with the threads per inch of the rod, since the cutter jaws are grooved to accept and protect the thread. I'll bet if the 1/4 had the same pitch it would cut it ok.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The reason for 5/8\"...

it was Target Stores standard for schedule 40 4" steel pipe. Also had to hang it every 6 foot. At 225 lbs per 21 foot stick, they wanted to make sure it was quake proof.

It is.

ME
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    ME

did they want hangers every 6' or seismic bracing? With seismic the cost must have been huge. I bid a Target here in Mass and I don't recall that requirement.
This discussion has been closed.