Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

design temp and setbacks

Options
neilc
neilc Member Posts: 2,705
suppose you nail a heat load/gain calc, size system to a teee, now work in a setback thermostat or control sys, picture design temp day, does system recover? is there room in the calcs for setback? should the setback be disabled for the once in a while extreme?
who see desing temp days anyway?
me thinks to much
known to beat dead horses

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    design temp

I would think that if you hit your "calcs" on the head, the system would recover on a design day, but......we have a system with 2 boilers and a Tekmar staging control that doesn't recover....because the customer insisted on set back thermostats. As hard as I tried, I couldn't convince them that outdoor reset would save them way more than setback. But it's a large church group and they have too many experts on site....the building does not recover on a mild day because they set it back too far. We installed Honeywell 7300 stats, set occupied/unoccupied at 70 and locked the keyboard, but someone found out how to fiddle with them, and the rest is history. I now charge them every time I go back to reset the stats.......sometimes you can try to save too much

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Boilerpro_2
    Boilerpro_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Are you mixing outdoor reset and setbacks?

Not a good idea unless you can boost water temps to come out of setback. I do churches all the time with both, they typically see thier fuel usage drop about 40%. BTW recommend setback temp for churches is 45F, since must spaces are only used a few hours a week and to prtect organs, furnishings etc from low humidity. Maintaining a building at 45F instead of 70F in a 6000 DD climate cuts the length of the heating season in half.

Boilerpro
This discussion has been closed.