Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant problem!?

Options
adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
We have a client that is looking to have us install radiant in the floor of his recently gutted master bathroom. The problem is that in order to cut cost he wanted us to leave the existing 4" thick, tile embedded floorand install radiant over it! I told him that we would have a problem with the existing 4" slab drawing too much of the heat away from the new tile above and that there was also no way to insulate underneath that monster mass of concrete! I also told him that even if we did somehow install tubing over the 4" slab, the new floor height would be way too high! Any thoughts!?

Comments

• kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    why..

is it people always look for short cuts? This sounds like a nightmare. Could you opt to put it in the walls instead? Maybe a towel warmer too? I would not install it over the existing tile, no way...kpc
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options

No walls, no way! The customer wants his toes warm! I made the "mistake" of showing him in his mind's eye what it would be like to go into the bathroom barefoot and have his toes all toasty!
  • kevin
    kevin Member Posts: 420
    Options
    How about...

some electric heat matting? It will take the edge off. Add the main heat source some other way...kpc
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Options

Is this in a basement? If you've got four inches to play with,and it's such a small room, Bust it out and get a decent thermal mass for your infloor installation. No Brainer.
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 360
    Options

Just do the heat loss calculation. Then give him both an option of towel warmer and radiant floor installed over the existing. Let him decide if he wants to pay the extra month to month for the toasty toes. Lets be honest the only two real options you have are install over existing or another heat emitter cause I know you aren't going to talk your homeowner into ripping up the cement. Homeowners can be so stupid when it comes to budget. They never think of the big picture.
This discussion has been closed.