Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant water treatment?

Options
Scott25
Scott25 Member Posts: 30
Jim,
I think I can help you with your questions. Without an oxygen barrier you will definately need something to protect from corrosion. The fact that you have experienced corrosion means that you need to clean the system of debris. These conditions can be slowed and corrected. It is amazing how much water quality effects the life of your system.

Let me know the specifics and maybe I can help.

Scott

Comments

• Jim Eastman
    Jim Eastman Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Radiant water treatment?

I have a need to treat the water in a radiant system without an oxygen barrier. (See "Yikes" post below) This system has Solaroll tubing and has developed a pH of around 6.0 and is corroding the copper piping. We will be replacing the damaged piping with Kitek and need to treat the new fluid to prevent further corrosion. What do you use to raise the pH in your systems and what do you use to inhibit further corrosion? Will an inhibited glycol do the job? What about the constant exposure to oxygen since the Solaroll tubing has no oxygen barrier?

What methods do you use to test the water treatment on a periodic basis?

Thanks for the help!

Jim Eastman
    Precision Plumbing
    Boulder, CO
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Glycol, only

if there is a freezing issue. It is messy, expensive, leak prone, and needs ongoing maintenance.

Your are, however, tied to an ongoing corrosion program with that solar roll job. Generally I now isolate the solar roll from the boiler and use non ferrous components. Keep temperatures as low as possible as O2 ingress is related to temperature.

There are a number of hydronic conditioners on the market. An inexpensive pocket ph tester would be a good tool for both glycol and non glycol monitoring. Depending on the make up of the chemical you go with, the manufacture of that chemical can supply you with the proper testers.

Scott at 417-860-2998 is an expert in this field. He has plenty of rubber tube experience, also. He can fix you up with the cleaner and chemical to help that system. He is glad to share his years of experience with folks.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.