Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My best one yet

Options
Andy N.
Andy N. Member Posts: 53
I just finished this radiant heating system for a good friend of mine. We are using a Burnham Revolution with a Burnham 50 gallon Alliance indirect heater. We used all Wirsbo Tubing (about 11,000 feet total). All of the tubing was staple down with a gypsum pour over the top. we used sleepers thru most of the house to install the hardwood over. Zoning was difficult because of the variety of floorcoverings in this home. We are heating approx. 8000 sq. feet in the home. We are using variable speed injection to keep tight reigns on the wood floors and also to achieve temperature responsiveness. The carpeted zones and the garage are on the panel nearest the boiler. the wood/tile zones are on the panel farthest from the boiler. The upstairs air handler loop is fed directly from the primary loop at the boiler as is the indirect heater. The indirect heater takes priority over the high temperature panel ONLY. this way the bathroom floor warming is still available while the shower is running. The Boiler to the left is also a burnham which we are using for snowmelt. We have about 1800 feet of 3/4 in the driveway and about 500 feet in the roof where flat roof meets 12/12 roof. This is also using v.s.i. to protect the boiler and acheive a setpoint temperature to the drive. This system is started via an outdoor snow sensor. I also installed manual overide switches right there under the fuse-trons. The valved off zone will eventually feed a back patio which cannot be poured yet due to the bad weather.

I put a whole lot of work into this one
whadyathink?

Andy N.

Comments

• Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    One word-

-FANTASTIC--
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Nice....

Nice, neat job, Andy. Lots of valves makes service easy. Trying to figure out the reducer on the snowmelt boiler - Is this sidewall vented? What kind of balancing valves are you using on the injection bridge (blue handle)? Let me know before you do your next job so I can buy some Taco stock :) -DF

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Andy N.
    Andy N. Member Posts: 53
    Options
    thanks!

As far as the reducer goes I used a Field Controls powerventer to get the sidewall venting. its a 250,000 BTU boiler. Seemed kind of odd to me though as well. The balancing valves on the injection returns are Nibco brand. The supplier we used was ILLCO. They carry Taco and B&G. I kind of like the uniformity of the taco pumps and controls. plug and play.

thanks for the compliment
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Complex but VERY well organized

My one caveat comes from this statement:

"Zoning was difficult because of the variety of floorcoverings in this home"

Makes me think that they're likely to change...

On such a large, elaborate install why not use some TRVd panel radiators for added response/"rug" insurance?

Completely understand the roof melt where 12/12 meets flat--presume you ensured that the melt will stay in liquid form until it's on the ground through a large air gap.
This discussion has been closed.