Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

floor mount expansion tank

Options
jim f
jim f Member Posts: 182
just wondering why does the manufacture supply these tanks with a 1" tapping?? nothing in the literature says what size to pipe it, just where to put it...under air eliminator.
jim f. milford, ct

Comments

• Boilerpro_2
    Boilerpro_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    My opinion and that of B&G

> just wondering why does the manufacture supply

> these tanks with a 1" tapping?? nothing in the

> literature says what size to pipe it, just where

> to put it...under air eliminator. jim f.

> milford, ct

• Boilerpro_2
    Options
    My opinion

Bladder type compression tanks should be piped off the side or the top of the piping so system debris does not collect in the bladder puncturing it. an air
  • Boilerpro_2
    Options
    Here's a picture

of a floor mounted bladdder tank piped according to B&G recommendations. Come off top or side of piping main to help avoid sysem debris from plugging piping or damaging bladder. Drop down to blow down valve back up to an air vent and then down to tank. If its a bottom connected tank, I'd put another valve down low. I believe pipe sizing varies according to tank size.

Boilerpro
  • jim f
    jim f Member Posts: 182
    Options

i have put in many of these expansion tanks(#40). i never had a problem with them being piped 1/2". the electrician on the job asked why did we change from 1" to 1/2"???
    and i did not have an answer. just wondering why would the make a tank with 1" tap and 95% of your basic air eliminator are 1/2".........havent went to the manufactuer to find detailed specs yet.hoping i can find the answer here on the wall. inquiring minds "need" to know
    jim f. milford,ct
  • John_21
    John_21 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Tanks

Just had a lot of 1" fittings I guess. John
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Floor mounted E.T.'s

Jim , I've done a few of these in apartment buildings , with multiple boiler set-ups . The tanks work fine and the connections are always 1" , but the one thing I ALWAYS do is to put in an isolation valve for the tank (usually at the bottom of the feed/fill from the air scoop or equal) and a drawer off to drain the tank in case of a failure or to service .

Had a problem with a multi-set blowing off 1 relief valve this week , and after changing the leaking relief valve , I checked the tank for pressure . Because of the shutoff and drain I put in , it only took about 5 minutes to find that the tank charge was only 4 1/2 lbs . A quick charge with the compressor (yes boys , it was a #90 floor mount tank) brought the puppy up to 12 lbs, and hopefully enough to last the rest of the season. I WILL check it in the spring to make sure if it's a saver or not . Chris
This discussion has been closed.