Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

digital cameras --again

Options
Nevin_2
Nevin_2 Member Posts: 7
No software is necessary to view the .JPG photo files that Mavicas write to floppy.

Comments

• harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options
    recommend a digital camera

Am now looking for a digital camera. A decent one thats a good VALUE. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Sony MVC

I have owned mine for about 4 years now. It works flawlessly. The great thing about this camera is it loads right onto a 3.5" disc. I always leave a copy of the tube layout on a disc with the owner.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Olympus Camedia

C3000 is what I have. We did some research before buying and the biggest thing seemed to be getting at least a camera with 3.0 pixel. The C3000 is 3.3 and takes very good pictures. We added the larger card and can now take up to 84 pictures (there are larger). One negative is that the batteries are not rechargeable, although they seem to last quite a while. I don't remember the price as we have had it for a year and a half.
  • Dan Law
    Dan Law Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Digital Cameras

Ditto heatboy re: Sony MVC. The 31/2" floppy is a big plus, and you can take short (10 sec I think)movies with it too. Really great when you need to show the progression of somthing. We use ours frequently in our proposals. It's one thing to give a customer a quote and tell him he's got condensate leaks in the tunnel of his school. Is another to show him clips of a the hot house he has down there and the spaces you have to work in to make the repairs. That clarity explains more than all the words in the world! Does a ton to help him understand the costs involved too.

Dan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    3 for Sony

mine has even taken the plunge to a concrete floor and still works fine!

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    4 for Sony

and you can COPY the disc for the customer, right there in front of them. What a plus!!

One of the engineers that I sit across from during litigation has a Sony that prints to CD ROM. Holds a heck of a lot more pictures than the floppy for sure.

My wife loves her Olympus. Too small and compact for my tastes. :-)

ME
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    fuji camera

I currently own a fuji 2600 as I found out my Olympus camedia would only stand four hits to the concrete floor before giving up. You would think they would make them tougher,wouldn't ya?!? Any how, the fuji has better quality pictures, but I liked the feel of the grip better on the Olympus.
  • Noel Kelly
    Noel Kelly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Best place to buy

I bought a Fuji 2800 from BuyDig.com. Without a doubt the best deal around. It was a $100 below the the best price around here (lots of Best Buys, Comps etc.) Has worked flawlessly - 6x optical zoom to boot. Check out the price of their Fuji 3800 and be sure to check out the camera reviews at Download.com. I just love a good deal!! Oh, and be sure to buy yourself 2 sets of rechargeable NiMh batteries and a recharger - that way you will always have a spare set on hand.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    Options
    5 for Sony

In addition, if you have the Mavica there is an adapter that will allow you to use Memory Sticks. You can put a whole vacation in the space of a pack of gum, FACT!
    Love it, but bought it just before the CD job came out, oh well, that's technology.
  • John Mills_3
    John Mills_3 Member Posts: 221
    Options
    I've been looking

at the Fuju S602 and about ready to buy. Was Buydig.com OK to deal with? I've been leery of these low priced places. Sure can't beat their price though.
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    LOL, Rick

I left my Olympus on the hood of my rental car and watched it bounce down the highway from my rear view mirror-it's still working. Nice to know it has three more lives.

The vote seems to be for Sony and I will look at that the next time I'm in the market. The biggest issue is still the pixels-3.0 or larger is a must if you are going to make prints.
  • Noel Kelly
    Options
    For me they were great

I have no complaints whatsoever.
  • Dan Law
    Dan Law Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Sony examples:

Attached you'll find some jpeg & mpeg examples of the quality you can expect from the Sony in some of the uses we've had. The stills re: a Lochinvar boiler heater element the factory said they couldn't identify by M/N - S/N so we sent the pics to help them match up a replacement. The other is showing some boiler damage we were sent to investigate. The movies are of a particular firing condition I was trying to relate to a rep under certain conditions. Trying to communicate the same in words just isn't the same. The mpegs run via something like real player, and are best viewed in "full screen" selection under "view" pull down tab. Hope these help in your purchase decission.
  • Noel Kelly
    Options
    One more thing

Get yourself a Flash card reader. Its a small USB device that allows you to download pics and movies to your computer without having to connect your camera. Under $20 and well worth it.
  • Collin_2
    Collin_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Digital cameras

I have a Canon G2 that I love. It has a swing out lcd screen that allows for good shots in tight mechanical rooms. Now that Canon has come out with the G3, you can get the G2 for a good price.
    I could have bought my camera for $100.00 cheaper by going throught the internet but I decided to support the local camera store where I live. Practice what you preach.
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    I just bought

A Canon ZR45 digital video camera. It does still photos to a memory card and uses digital tape for video. I think its 90 minutes or so on a tape and the cards vary according to what size (MB) you buy. Pixel count isn't as big as a lot of the still cameras but photo quality seems to be more than adequate. I like being able to take video of jobs also. I can fill up a card and burn it onto a CD on the computer, then erase the card and do it over again. Cost was $599 from Gateway.com
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Sony MVC question

I was just checking out the MVC-CD400. Great looking camera. The Mini C.D. memory is a great idea. I have one question for the MVC users, do you have to have a special program to read the disks you are leaving behind, or can the customer open the disk with any photo program?

Thanks

Glenn Harrison Residential Service Tech

Althoff Industries Inc. Mechanical and Electrical Contractors

Crystal Lake, Illinois
  • Nevin_2
    Options
    Nude Chick, Mavica 75: Walmart $220.

I paid $500. for my Mavica.
    I bougt two for my Sons at $300.
    Now it's on sale at the local Walmart for $220.

The chick is my GrandDaughter :)
  • Dave_23
    Dave_23 Member Posts: 190
    Options

• Nevin_2
    Options
    PLUS: it takes close-ups and has a 10X zoom

Here parasitic wasps are hatching out of cocoons on a Tomato Horn Worm.
    My Mavica is very worn, but refuses to wear out.

Nevin
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Options
    Thanks, Nevin

Just what I wanted to hear.

Glenn Harrison, Residential Service Tech

Althoff Industries Inc. Mechanical and Electrical Contractors

Crystal Lake, Illinois

Althoff Industries website
This discussion has been closed.