Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Update on Problematic Weil HE's....Boilerpro

Options
I got called out last winter on a forced air furnace that would not light all burners. I was the third guy out in as many years. Guys before me had replaced burners, gas valves, controls, up sized the gas lines, replaced the regulators at tank and house, in fact everything but replace the furnace. I played with it for about 3 weeks. It was intermittent problem. Always worked when I was there, you know the story.. I finally asked the homeowner how old the propane tank was. He had it for 15 years, and bought it used, so we didn't know how old it was. I called propane company and asked them to add about 5 gallons of alcohol to propane tank. That took care of it! I finally figured out that water in the tank was being carried into the line and freezing at the regulator, restricting flow, just about the time furnace was trying to light, and the regulator was opening up as the gas valve opened.

Comments

• Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    Propane Weil HE problems

Well its now been another month and still no closer to addressing the poor light off problems with these boilers... lack of flame carryover at the burners. The Weil tech that looked at them hasn't found a solution, and neither have the several other Weil techs he has contacted. Judging by the changes made when the CGi came out... dedicated carryover slots on the burners which the HE didn't have... it looks like a design problem. Problem is the same with all three boilers. Gas pressures checked, orifices checked, new burners, new ignition, etc. no solution. Problem is to have existed since they were new. I know several folks were interested in updates, so here you are.

Boilerpro
  • KBP&H
    KBP&H Member Posts: 48
    Options
    HE's problem, RV's not

I had a 100,000 HE propane in my house for 16 years, & alway's thought I had high heating bills, ( more gas than I thought I should be using). I recently put an addition on and had two loops running at one time and the boiler would not feep up- Net IBR=72,000 BTU out,, both loops totaled 71' of S/F 30--- everything was checked out. flow rate, clean tubes, gas pressure, etc... Tore it out last Wenesday and put in a Burnham rv5, even with 30,000 input more and more efficency--- Rv5 is running (burners) 1/3 as much-----
  • Boilerpro_2
    Boilerpro_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    KBP&H

Also an issue here. Makes sense too, if all the burners aren't lighting, you're throwing raw propane up the chimney and fuel bills go way up. I've seen these boilers light the firest two or three burners so flame is proven at teh falame sensor and keep firing without the other burner lighting up. Things improved considerably with a good burner cleaning and setting gas pressure properly at the gas valve and getting the regulars sized right, but stillnot proper light off.

Boilerpro
This discussion has been closed.