Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A good friend is gone!

Options
Firedragon_4
Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
Sadly I was informed tonight that John Gates (jcg) passed away of a heart attack.

Many of you that knew John knew him to be a devout Oil Tech Talker and Wallie even though he maintained his own web-site jcgbs.com and it's 'Just for Tek's' information board.

John was a humble guy, a great tek and an even smarter and brilliant engineer (degreed). He was also an active member of the Boston Chapter of NAOHSM and a person I admired and was honored to call a friend.

He will be missed!
George Lanthier

Comments

• Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Rest in peace,

John.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Real sorry

to heare that, George. I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, but felt his friendship here at this gathering site. A very sharp, down to earth fellow.

May he rest, warmly, in peace.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EDDIE GRIERSON_2
    EDDIE GRIERSON_2 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Sorry

Sorry to here that. May he rest in peace.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Options
    His insights here...

will be sorely missed!!!!

Always hate it when that much wisdom is gone and can no longer be of use.

Send our regards to his family... I'm sure he will be missed much more by them!!!

Floyd
  • Gary Usa_2
    Gary Usa_2 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    how on earth

can a real gentle man be lost from this earth,i adored this guy he was such an aceptional gentleman and has been taken from us,may we remember him that he gave much to us all,he will be so missed it's untrue.

I am so sad that he has gone but will never leave our sincere memories.

god bless you john please take care of your self,may you know rest in peace my dear friend

love yer man

gary usa
  • Online Sheriff \"Murph\"
    Options
    HOLY SMOKES !!!

The man just retired and was going to get some time to enjoy life after giving so much. such a sad thing to hear, my prayers go out to the family. So sorry to hear of this.

Murph'
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I am shocked and sadden.

I had the pleasure to meet John at a Gas seminair that Dan was involved with. It was the first New England meeting of the wallies. Chuck Shaw, Noel Murdough, John and a few others.

He was a wealth of oil heat knowledge.

My sympothy to his family and loved ones.

Scott Milne

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jeff Lawrence_2
    Jeff Lawrence_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Wow!

He had just moved here to Georgia and I was looking forward to meeting him. We were going to get together for a cup of coffee.

I'll raise the next one to him.

Jeff

• jerrygb46_2
    jerrygb46_2 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    you will be missed

Truely sorry to hear this,Loved his site and gained much knowledge from him!John you are in my prayers,deepest reguards to his family.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Any Chance

The wallies could make some kind of gesture to his family ?
    Between ourselves and the Oil Tech guys, we could do make a donation for his grandchilds education ?

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Big Ed_2
    Big Ed_2 Member Posts: 18
    Options

My deepest Respect...Rest in peace , John .
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    contributor

John was a contributor. He gave back to the industry & will be missed.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options
    great idea

A Wallies Benovolence Fund. Out of loss many good things can come.

Prayers for the family and friends.
  • Joe Grosso
    Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Scott

That sounds like a great idea my friend!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm gonna miss you dad...

He knows.

ME
  • Jeff_9
    Jeff_9 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    lost but not forgotton

Maybe we could honor these great men by creating a WALL OF FAME. Just an idea. To many of these men that are responsable for what we know and make a living pass without being honered. Bsaeball has theres maybe we could have ours.

Jeff
  • Brian (Tankless) Wood
    Options
    He was a real Man & gave fatherly advice,

as well as every other good thing he did in his too short time with us on Earth.

When I stumbled on "The Wall" at Danholohan.com in July of 1998, I was literally staggering through a divorce, hurting terribly because I couldn't see my baby girl, and didn't know which way was up. John held out a hand, e-mailed me personally and gave advice I really needed at that awful time. For that, I will always be grateful, and remember him fondly.

Besides him, there was DVW, HB, Bill N., Dan, Duncan (Disorderly), Pete Caruso, Dawn, Noel Kelly,(with his stories from home) and many others who felt that "The Wall" was more than an "add-on" to a Heating Help site. Everyone was welcome there, as they are now, no one was a stranger, and no one was turned away. Just as it is now.

For all that, I am very grateful.

John will be missed, and NEVER forgotten.

Brian W.

• Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    I only met him once

in person at an RPA trade show; I think it was in Rhode Island. He was there with his son, but I knew him well from his frequent contributions here on The Wall.

"jcg" will be missed.

This discussion has been closed.