Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I'd got slimed

Options
I had a customer complain of poor hot water from a conventional gas fired water heater. My tech checked the gas control, burner, dip tube and shower head. All checked out OK. Then he attached a hose to drain the heater and a blue slime came out of the heater. It was really clear with a blue tinge. Almost iridescent with the blue color.

I have seen this before. Just once. The stuff was the consistency of molasses.

I can assume that the complaints of hot water are caused by this slime insulating the bottom of the tank. We have flushed the tank and turned the thermostat up.

I believe this stuff is probally a bacteria living in the tank. Is it? If not, what is it?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Mike

Postscript: This residence is in the middle of a big city. Denver!
On Denver municipal water. We installed the 50 gallon heater in 1999.

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Here in SE Missouri

where we get our water direct from the Mississippi the stuff in water heaters is sort of transparent and like very large grains of rice. Truly disgusting to see a pile of it steaming outside when you drain a water heater.
  • molly
    molly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Legionella?

watch out for legionella. I don't know what it looks like but it's a nasty pneumonia causing bacteria that likes to hang out in "cool" water heaters. Our state inspectors recomend heating tank to 140 to and then tempering with a Sparco or equivilent tempering valve.
  • Patchogue Phil_4
    Patchogue Phil_4 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Yuck!

Would using any kind of fine water filter (on inlet feed side) prevent this from happenning?

Will the stuff make people sick?
  • Vince_2
    Vince_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    slimed

Aluminum Hydroxide is the slime you get from an aluminum anode rod that is factory installed on the heater. I suggest that you replace it with a magnesium rod or if stinky water is the problem then there are rods that have some zinc in it. You can check out the tech paper at A.O. Smiths web site at HotWater.com. Be careful if you have twined the units. Both anode rods must be the same or you will generate the slime forever and will eventualy clog up the aerators on all the faucets and shower heads. You can tell what kind of anode rod you have by checking the top. An aluminum rod has a flat top while a magnesium rod will have what looks like a bead of solder on the top.
  • Vince_2
    Vince_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    anode rods are the problem

Aluminum Hydroxide is the slime you get from an aluminum anode rod that is factory installed on the heater. I suggest that you replace it with a magnesium rod or if stinky water is the problem then there are rods that have some zinc in it. You can check out the tech paper at A.O. Smiths web site at HotWater.com. Be careful if you have twined the units. Both anode rods must be the same or you will generate the slime forever and will eventualy clog up the aerators on all the faucets and shower heads. You can tell what kind of anode rod you have by checking the top. An aluminum rod has a flat top while a magnesium rod will have what looks like a bead of solder on the top.
  • steve_6
    steve_6 Member Posts: 243
    Options
    slime

Its your anode. Is this heater an AO smith?
This discussion has been closed.