Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM speaks out

Options
John R. Hall
John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
The News ran this exclusively online in our 1/20 Extra Edition. I'm not sure if any Wallies missed it so here is the link:

http://www.achrnews.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,1338,90513,00.html

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Good for them.

Nice to have a company stand up and be counted.

I give them points for the article. Thanks for the post John.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • EDDIE GRIERSON_2
    EDDIE GRIERSON_2 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    W/M

Thanks for the link. I am glad to see this. When I first heard about this I was pretty upset. I was going to stop selling W/M. I am glad they didn't go through with it.
  • Noel Kelly
    Noel Kelly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Can't help but be cynical.

“We told Home Depot from the very beginning that any discussions we had would have to include our existing distribution base and be contractor-based,” he said.

This very statement suggests to me that there was a desire on the part of WM to use the vast resources of Home Depot. To insinuate that there was a great misunderstanding on the part of the trade seems a little disingenuous I think. After all, what do you expect??? A valuable lesson has been learned here and one that is becoming less rare - the power of the buyer!

Noel Kelly
  • Frank_3
    Frank_3 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Cynical works for me.

It also doesn't explain why they apparently have gone ahead with a deal to sell directly to Keyspan. At least that's the impression from the recent Keyspan advertising that has the WM logo prominently displayed.

If Keyspan is considered part of WM's regular distribution channel then why isn't Keyspan selling to contractors other than their own subsidiary companies?

My last comment, as an outside observer of all this, is how does Slant-Fin's deals with Home Depot and Lowes Home Centers affect their reputation among independent plumbing & heating contractor's? I haven't seen anything negative here towards Slant-Fin (and I understand someone from SF posts on the Wall) and yet it would appear SF's deal is the same one that had everyone pissed at WM.
  • Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Big box stores

I, for one, have stopped sellling Slant Fin products, but not simply beacuse of their marketing strategies. I simply don't like their boilers and I've found better quality baseboard for less money, and I've sold a lot of SF15-30 in my days.
    This is still America, guys, and free enterprise will always reign supreme. So learn to life with it, buy the products you like and from whoever gives you the best support. I've never had a problem justifying why I sell higher than the big box guys, I'm a professional heating contractor and proud of it.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Slant Fin is a good boiler....but

because they are in HELP_YOURSELF_DEPOT (home depot)I refuse to put them in......occasionally I will get a ho that wants one put in that they got - no problem, but I'm not getting it for 'em. Slant Fin does have a pretty good radiant line which I sometimes use, The baseboard is great, and the technical support is outstanding...Mad Dog

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Slant/Fin

I felt the same way about S/F until I got the full story.

S/F does not sell to HD. There is a HUGE wholesaler that buys from S/F and sells to HD.

S/F would be crazy to stop selling product to that guy.

There is still the matter of that flyer I picked up in HD a couple weeks ago and someone posted. That letter was sent out to the suppliers back in November and the fliers are in the stores now.

Like the old saying goes, don't pee down my back and tell me it's rainin'.

Mark H

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options

Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options

Retired and loving it.
  • Bill Wright_2
    Bill Wright_2 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    As has been stated previously ...

Weil-McLain does not have any relationships w/ HD. Having said that, because we have no relationship w/ HD, we have no control or leverage over what HD does or says (unless it is something illegal). I don't know why HD is showing flyers w/ boilers -- best to ask HD, it is not coming from WM. I find some of the above comments interesting in light of comments that were made in prior threads on this topic:

Date: January 14, 2003 11:34 PM
    Author: steve eayrs (eayrs@xyz.net)
    ... AND I can't help but think that if Weil was more concerned about quality and keeping a good name with contractors, than they are about their volume of sales, they would not sell to those who then sell to the box store. They are indirectly selling to box stores, but just found someone else to blame it on. IF I'm wrong, why don't they send out a notice stating to not buy their boilers from box stores? How can the warranty be good if not bought through the right area reps. and right channels, that they evidently approve of? Steve
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Date: January 14, 2003 11:49 PM
    Author: Dan Holohan (mailroom@HeatingHelp.com)
    Subject: I think

it has to do with a free-market economy. Once you sell to someone, they're free to sell to someone else. I can't find fault with that.

• Bill Wright_2
    Options

Weil-McLain does not have any relationships w/ HD.

Having said that, because we have no relationship w/ HD, we have no control or leverage over what HD does or says (unless it is something illegal). I don't know why HD is showing flyers w/ boilers -- best to ask HD, it is not coming from WM. I find some of the above comments interesting in light of comments that were made in prior threads on this topic:

----------------------------------------------

... AND I can't help but think that if Weil was more concerned about quality and keeping a good name with contractors, than they are about their volume of sales, they would not sell to those who then sell to the box store. They are indirectly selling to box stores, but just found someone else to blame it on. IF I'm wrong, why don't they send out a notice stating to not buy their boilers from box stores? How can the warranty be good if not bought through the right area reps. and right channels, that they evidently approve of? Steve

------------------------------------------------------------

it has to do with a free-market economy. Once you sell to someone, they're free to sell to someone else. I can't find fault with that.

• Bill Wright_2
    Options

Weil-McLain does not have any relationships w/ HD.

Having said that, because we have no relationship w/ HD, we have no control or leverage over what HD does or says (unless it is something illegal). I don't know why HD is showing flyers w/ boilers -- best to ask HD, it is not coming from WM. I find some of the above comments interesting in light of comments that were made in prior threads on this topic:

----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.