Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Operating cost?: Hydronic vs. infrared Radiant?

Options
kevin_5
kevin_5 Member Posts: 308
100 X 80 Steel building with 20' sidewalls in central Nebraska. Approx 142,000 BTU load.

Owner very interested in hydronic radiant, but knows overhead infrared is significantly cheaper up front.

I explained comfort difference, and he wants operation cost/ payback comparison. I'm totally clueless on this part. How much cheaper is the infloor to operate?

To add another variable, he's considering options in waste oil boiler or natural gas. My other post deals with same questions on that one.
Any good numbers, experience, or even a wild guess would be more than I have now. Thanks in advance, Kevin

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=270&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• kevin_5
    Options
    Owner needs a push

100 X 80 Steel building with 20' sidewalls in central Nebraska. Approx 142,000 BTU load.

Owner very interested in hydronic radiant, but knows overhead infrared is significantly cheaper up front.

I explained comfort difference, and he wants operation cost/ payback comparison. I'm totally clueless on this part. How much cheaper is the infloor to operate?

To add another variable, he's considering options in waste oil boiler or natural gas. My other post deals with same questions on that one.
    Any good numbers, experience, or even a wild guess would be more than I have now. Thanks in advance, Kevin

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • kevin_5
    Options
    I need help informing Owner

Proposal is for 100 X 80 Steel building with 20' sidewalls in central Nebraska. Approx 142,000 BTU load.

He has access to natural gas and propane.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ta finnegan
    ta finnegan Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Info

You are going to have to figure out the cycle time for each scenario to deliver the necessary btu's to heat the place. Then you need the efficiency ratings for each. Then you need the cost per therm if it is natural gas. Then making assumptions for design temp etc. you can come up with an approximate number.

At the core you want to determine how much fuel each scenario eats up to keep the place at design temperature.

There are much more complex ways to get to a more precise figure but how much work do you want to do for free?

• kf_2
    kf_2 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Infrared

Kevin,

You will find that you will have to have alot more than 142,000 BTU's/hr for the infrareds due to the number of heaters you will have to hang to cover the sread at the floor. Also, the reflectors have to be cleaned all the time.

kf
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Sell it on comfort

and stay away from the cost comparisons. Also consider the building useage. With ceiling radiant the underneath side of trucks and equipment, or benches and tables, doesn't "see" the radiant.

Some analogies

Walk around to the shady side of a building on a sunny, cold winters day. Then back to the sunny side. Where would you prefer to work?

Or feel your butt when facing a camp fire on a cold winters day. Best done in private :)

Ceiling radiant won't melt and dry beneath trucks like radiant floors will.

It really warms the paint layer on the top of the cabs, however! :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.