Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Room sensor instead of t-stat

Options
Hello wallies--
I am installing a 26 zone radiant heating system for a client who wants to use indoor sensors in the walls in lieu of thermostats. These sensors will "talk" to a central computer system which will act as the switch to turn on and off my zone valves. Does anyone know of a sensor that will hide itself in a wall, and transmit room temperature to a central computer?
Thanks for any input.
Curt Putnam, Mountain Shadows Mechanical Inc.

Comments

• Terry
    Terry Member Posts: 186
    Options
    Tekmars wont hide

The Tekmar House controls will utilize RTU's instead of T'stats. However, they will not "hide" in the wall. They are a small white inconspicuous box that mounts on the wall similar to t'stat but can be mounted lower on the wall.

try: tekmarcontrols.com

• Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    You could bury the sensor in the plaster

Any 10k sensor will do. The tekmar 10K piping sensor is only about 3/8 inch diameter. Hate to try to find it 20 years from now if it is buried in the wall.

Boilerpro
  • Hunter R Botto
    Hunter R Botto Member Posts: 2
    Options
    wall sensors

Check with april-aire,I believe they have what you need.
  • brent
    brent Member Posts: 3
    Options
    april aire

You should look at april aire. We will soon be installing a few of their tstat and remote sensor systems in a house. They have just installed a whole house system that controls all sorts of stuff with touch screens mounted throughout the house. The controls company told us to install Aprilaire 8870 tstats and they will connect via cat 5 wire to their network. I think the control system is called alon but I could be wrong. We will be using model 8051 flush mt sensor. You drill a 1" hole in the wall and all you see is a 1½" disc on the wall. You can even paint it to match the wall color.
    To use the flush mount sensor you have to buy the thermostat, temperature support module, (both would go in a mechanical room or closet) and the sensor. Check with the home automation company to see what they can interface with. I suggest telling them you will take care of wiring the tstats and sensors and get them working individually. The home automation co. can take care of linking them to the network and all that business. You can spend hours and days working the bugs out of a central system.
    It can get expensive to do every zone.
    The house we will do isn't your typical big house. They have a 8 car garage and spend more money than should be allowed. I was in the 4 car section of the garage and there were 2 new S class mercedes and a new V12 ferrari. The husband and wife weren't even home, only the property manager and the house keeper.
    www.aprilaire.com

brent
  • larry
    larry Member Posts: 91
    Options
    HAI Thermostats

Home Automation Inc (homeauto.com) has a series of thermostats that also support a flush mounted thermistor disk that can be painted. With this type of installation, the thermostat can sit in a closet or elsewhere where it is more visually acceptable. The thermostats use standard wiring, and don't require any additional controller for operation. They have a ton of options for setback built-in, and optionally they can be interfaced to HAI's OmniPro-II automation controller through a seperate set of wires for complete integration with automation functions such as security, occupancy sensing, fire, lighting ... Their major downside is the price.
This discussion has been closed.