Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Price for Propane?!

Options
I just got a delivery of propane (just use it for the oven/stove) and my jaw dropped! $5.03 per gallon!

Did propane have some kinda drastic price jump recently? I know I just use it for cooking and don't use all that much (this delivery was 25 gallons).... but OUCH! If I remember, last year was around $3.00 gallon.

Anyone in similiar useage situation on Long Island? What did you pay recently?

Used to be that around here, cooking with propane was HUGELY cheaper than with an electric oven/stove.

Comments

• Colin
    Colin Member Posts: 50
    Options
    WOW - Ouch

I guess I'll consider myself fortunate to be locked into a contract at $.85/gallon when a local competing compny is selling LP at $.68/gallon.

The highest we've ever had here in SD is $1.30 a few years ago.
    Colin
  • Tom Anderson
    Tom Anderson Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Low Volume Propane Cost

Your rate per gallon is high because of your very small purchase. Same deal here in northern Vermont. I pay $1.10 a gallon when delivery to my 500 gallon tank is made... usually 200 gallons or so per delivery.

The propane delivery firms also charge much more for folks who have 100 gallon tanks or smaller. Same overhead.... travel time, truck miles, etc, whether they sell 25 galllons or 250 galllons.

:-)
  • PatchoguePhil
    PatchoguePhil Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I understand

.... that I pay more because of low volume. I even pay a "rental" fee for the tanks since I don't meet a minimum volume.

What I was asking, if there is anyone in similiar situation and what they are paying. And, if there was a sudden across-the-board increase for propane in general.

Glad I don't use propane for heating!!!
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    You gotta' be kidding!!

$5.03 per gallon!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

I can understand an increase due to smaller usage but c'mon!

Please accept my sympathies!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • scrook
    scrook Member Posts: 26
    Options
    current propane price info...

$1.56/gal average residential retail on the east coast (less in the midwest) last week, see:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/winter_fuels_report/current/pdf/tablec5.pdf

(watch the word wrap!)
  • Chris_11
    Chris_11 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    propane $

I don't know who your buying from, but try Bay propane in the Shirley-Mastic area they are right on sunrise hwy. at the wm.floyd exit, My last delivery from peconic propane in calverton was 1.32$ on tues. I live farther out east, so
    this might be easier for you, Good luck!
  • Patchogue Phil_4
    Patchogue Phil_4 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks..

...Chris for the info. At that price I am sure you must use more propane than for just cooking.

I did the math .... between the $69 a year lease charge for the tanks (since I do not meet their minimum use of 100 gallons use per year) and the $5.03 gallon charge I'd be better off with buying my own 60 lb bottle/tank ($70 & the largest a person can transport without DOT permits) and regulator and getting my tank filled up the road. The little 20 lb BBQ tank exchange is $15 bucks. How much could a 60 lb tank cost to fill?

• Patchogue Phil_4
    Options
    NY specific prices

broken down by regions of NY

http://www.nyserda.org/nyepf.html
  • Brian (Tankless) Wood
    Options
    Golllllllly $5 is awful.

Flat rate of about $ 1.00 gal in south Louisiana. The supplier is always "in the area". So, unless he's not delivering especially for me, it's a good price.

Note* we are very close to the plants etc' so overhead is considerably less.

Brian in the land of seriously fluctuating temperatures. 18 last week, 60 today ???

• Carlton
    Carlton Member Posts: 27
    Options

In West Central NJ (Hunterdon County) I just got delivery of about 28 gallons @ $3.67 or so a gallons. I have been meaning to look around thinking that that was high. Now I know I will. It is a pain to go through the whole gas check of the appliances again. I use Propane for cooking and dryer.
  • scrook
    Options
    60lb bottle

if 20 lb (~ 4.7 gal) BBQ is $15 a fill (ouch! in eastern MA it's generally $8 -- or was that a cyl. SWAP, in which $15 is probably reasonable), then a 60lb (~14.1 gal) fill should be $45 (vs. $15) -- $3.19/gal, OR: $24 (vs. $8) -- $1.70/gal. Perhaps a 60, (or better, a pair of 40's?) and run one into town for a fill as req'd is the way to go.

What's killing you is that you're not using over 100 gal/year. Assuming you were using kero or #2 oil, you'd run into the same sort of problem, a mark-up for deliveries less than say 100 or 150 gal.
  • scrook
    Options
    60 lbs...

if 20 lb (~ 4.7 gal) BBQ is $15 a fill (ouch! in eastern MA it's generally $8 -- or was that a cyl. SWAP, in which $15 is probably reasonable), then a 60lb (~14.1 gal) fill should be $45 (vs. $15) -- $3.19/gal, OR: $24 (vs. $8) -- $1.70/gal. Perhaps a 60, (or better, a pair of 40's?) and run one into town for a fill as req'd is the way to go.

What's your peak BTU/hr demand? (figure 4 burners at 10,000 each + oven at 25,000 you could be at 25k to as high as 65k BTU/hr!) A 100lb cyl, w/ 10 lbs left in it will only deliver 38,000 BTU/hr at 20°F and 28,000 BTU/hr at 0°F. At 20lbs left it becomes 36,000 and 51,000; at -10°F all the numbers are HALF the 0°F values, so this may argue against a 60lb or smaller cylinder, as you may not be able to take them as close to empty as the 100's. If you don't use the place in the winter maybe it's not an issue.

The LP-Gas Serviceman's Manual ( www.regoproducts.com ) has tables for all this stuff

What's killing you is that you're not using over 100 gal/year. Assuming you were using kero or #2 oil, you'd run into the same sort of problem, a mark-up for deliveries less than say 100 or 150 gal.
  • Ernie
    Ernie Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Propane

Your lucky just paid $6.99/gal for 18.3gal delivery plus tank rental of $63.00. Use it only for cooking.
  • Patchogue Phil_4
    Options

Where are you located?
  • Ernie
    Ernie Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Where are you located

Greenwich,CT
This discussion has been closed.