Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How many of you use a elastomeric membrane

Options
Roger Link
Roger Link Member Posts: 15
Thanks for the opinions each of you have made. My gypcrete installer swears that they have done hundreds of jobs successfully where no membranes were used but the literature from their corporate office does recommend the elastomer sheets. To be safe I will recommend that the HO pay for the extra protection.

Roger Link

Comments

• Roger Link
    Roger Link Member Posts: 15
    Options

over thin set gypcrete when ceramic tile is the finished floor material? Is it used for both residential and/or commercial applications? What type of problems have you experienced when one is not used?
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    the story

We recieved here is that the adheavisve that is used for this application must accomadate the difference in expansion between the tile and the gypcrete. That adheavisive is called a "slip sheet" adheavisive. Seems that the tile and the gypcrete will not stay together long if the "slip sheet" is not used!
    bigugh
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Fracture proof membrane

We always recommend it to the client or GC over Gyp and concrete for tile/stone applications. I've seen grout pop and tiles crack when it's not used. We exclude any tile problems if it's not applied.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Elastomeric membrane

Is recommended by Maxxon corp. (Rapid Floor,Gypcrete) for their Gypsum concrete as well as over their self leveling portland based underlayments. There are many makers of these type products. When installing a rigid tile over a flexing wood floor it is good practice. It still amazes me how we are expected to advise the industry on all facets of construction or it some how becomes that darn radiant heat guys problem.
This discussion has been closed.