Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

advice needed

Options
walt z
walt z Member Posts: 1
i am a new homeowner of a 42 year old home with hot water baseboard heat with the original NRC natural gas fired boiler (135,000 BTU in, 108,000 out) - there is a very slow drip where the electric circulator attaches to the return pipe into the boiler - the water temp gauge is also broken - no other problems and it still works - i got an estimate to fix the leak by installing a new cirulator for about $400 - however, two pros suggested getting a whole new boiler system because at 42 years old, this one could nickel and dime me over the next few years - what's the advice? - if i do go new, what should i look for? - avoid? - what manufactors? a new homeowner and dad thank you for responding

Comments

• ta finnegan
    ta finnegan Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Recommendations

42 years is borrowed time. I like to go simple. Some of my grandfather's standing pilot jobs still run like a charm and my condensing boilers with intermittant ignitions give me trouble!

Crown makes a really nice product. I like how they stand behind it. Check out their website for product offerings.

Pump away, pipe correctly, size appropriately and don't forget the low water cut off.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jamie Pompetti
    Jamie Pompetti Member Posts: 82
    Options

Walt,

I would have to agree with the two fellows who suggested to replace that old boiler. Granted I have seen many still running much older then yours but, I have had to replace many that are much younger then yours. There are many great boiler companies out there but the MOST important part is the installation! Always remember that even if two companies are bidding the same boiler doesn't mean they are bidding the same job. One may do things much better then the other. Make sure you hit the "Find a Contractor" icon on this web sight!

Good luck,

Jamie Pompetti

Pompetti Heating & Cooling, Inc.
This discussion has been closed.