Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell zone valves venturi

Options
last week . We installed a gas boiler with 4 Honeywell zone valves - 2 were 1 inch , and 2 were 3/4 , but the openings inside looked to be the same size . Would there be any reason to use the bigger sized zone valves ?

Comments

• Dom
    Dom Member Posts: 2
    Options

Does anyone have or know where I can get literature on how honeywell zone valves let enough water through the small hole in the valve body via the venturi effect? The hole is the same size regardless of what size copper tube is connected to it.
  • It depends on the

CV rating (flow capacity) of the zone valves as too how much they will pass.What are the numbers of the valves? There are different CV ratings for different valves

There are 3/4" and 1" with 3.5 CV

There are 3/4 and 1" with 8 CV

If these are sweat valves they can be either one it depends on the full number of the zone valves.

If you have a new Honeywell catalog 2002 eighth edition page 141 gives the info.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    If you are looking for really high flow zone valves...

take a look at the White Rodgers valves. The pressure drop is very low: 3/4 inch - 2 1/2 ft copper tubing, 1 inch - 4Ft. copper tubing, and 1 1/4 inch - 7 ft. copper tubing. The price is also reasonable, they have been around for a long time, and parts are redily available in my area.(Johnstone supply carries them). I use them on larger commercial jobs when zone loads are in the range of 50,000 btu to 175,000 btu.

Boilerpro
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Thanks, Tim!

You saved me the typing, and you are correct (as always)!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    It's in the numbers

Cv tell the story, not the actual hole size.

I agree with BP, those old, hard to wire :0, White Rogers hade huge openings through them, virtually a full port zone valve.

You really had to think when wiring or troubleshooting them if you weren't used to that unique setup. The early wire connections were problematic also.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.