Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inhibitors

Options
Paul Rohrs_2
Paul Rohrs_2 Member Posts: 171
I just got off the phone with a PE who designed his own hydronic heating system. (Rep agency sold direct- oh,well) He was searching for some other related items, but in the course of conversation he mentioned that with his wood boiler setup, he has added an inhibitor. I'm gathering that this is largely fan-coils, and DHW, but shouldn't that still be isolated with a HX? He is running everything straight thru his system along with all Taco CI circulators.

PR

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    If

he has one of those outdoor "wood furnaces" most of them are open (non pressurized) vessels. As such corrosion protection needs to be ongoing. Those wood burners are fairly thin gauged steel tanks, they won't last long without the inhibitors added. Of course the inhibitors would be crucial to the protection of the pumps and any other ferrous components in the loop.

I like to seperate them from the rest of the system via a HX, for this reason. However they will work fine as an open system if installed and vented properly. Most of the installation manuals shipped with those wood furnaces show them piped as open systems. Probably thousands of them out there running open :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.