Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Klondike !

Options
Gary Fereday
Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
Now that is the way it is supposed to be accomplished! Look at what the boys learned. Self reliance works, and they can solve problems. A Few more camps like this and the boys will do Eagle projects on their own, and show that they can be relied upon to accomplish a task! ( the Army thinks enough of Eagle to give the new recurit a stripe upon entering) Think of a bunch of Ventures who just have the advisor qualify their projects they decide to do. Venture adults only have to reaffirm the projects decency, and funding. and hang on for the ride! Then off to young adults who know how to get things done! A troop experiamnce can be the start of a real country full of decent men doing correct things. Thanks again for doing this Klondike correctly. YIS bigugh

Comments

• Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Dave Yates (PAH) (behler@blazenet.net)

So how did it go (Slide)? bigugh
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    Klondike 2003

Friday night's temp? -2 degrees F with lots of wind! Brrrrrrrr

Saturday night's temp? 10 degrees F! Brrr

Water Buffalo? Frozen solid in spite of my having wrapped all D-lines with graphite self regulating heat tape. Result? One split 90 degree ell that I'll be replacing for the US Army tomorrow. We did manage to keep one spigot working.

Hiking distance Sat? Roughly 7 miles to complete all stations.

Boys to men. Watching the youth of Troop 20 plan, manage and execute this event was a joy. As you'd expect (but only because you're an adult & know things never go as planned), Saturday morning, things did not go as planned and the pre-planned smooth operation they thought would be flawless became somewhat unglued! "What should we do?", they asked. "Well, what do you think should be done?", I asked. They answered their own questions(G). It was a huge success & a great time was had by the 500+ participants. (170 camped overnight Fri & Sat)

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    Congratulations.!!!

You and your scouts have qualified for "Polar Bear Patch" and the "Zero Hero" rocker. Check with the counsel office, the kids will get a real bang out of that patch. We didn't have the cold you were working with. We were a balmy 20+ by mid afternoon. It flurried all day and got to about an inch of powder. Don't have a final count but estimate 200-250. Round robin of activities that kept everyone busy from 9AM to 3:30PM, hot lunch provided inside. We did have a nice lineup of sleds and we all stayed in cabins or the main building. Ah, just like the Holiday Inn. Pretty laid back this year. Glad to hear you had a good time with the boys. Art
  • hot_rod
    Options
    cool

Art,

Some fun eh? I'd like to think I'll miss this one day, but my fingers & toes must thaw out first(G). Tried to locate a 1.25" x 3/4" brass 90 degree ell today to replace the one that split on the water camel (in spite of the heat tape), but that's become an oddity. Sure hope Uncle Sam doesn't make me procure one that's up to military specks - no doubt about a gazillion dollar fitting!

20 huh? Man we'd of been in our shorts and T-shirts(G).

The boys designed the patch too & it's a doozey. Only thing is, they ran out & the host Troop goes without until extras can be ordered.

YIS,

Dave

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    Unless I'm wrong

the Polar Bear is a national BSA patch and has requiements. You have to camp outside for over 24 hours at below freezing (32f) and cook three meals, then you can award the Polar Bear. If the temp goes down below zero a 'rocker'with "Zero Hero" is put under the Polar bear patch. Your Klondike Patch is a separate local patch. The counsel office is closed today so I can't check, but I'll find out. Art
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Patch, I hope.

This is my first time to attach a photo, just got a Camedia C-720 for Christmas. Hold still !
  • hot_rod
    Options
    That looks

familiar(G).

We had a few of the Cubs overnight for two sub-freezing nights (in a row)back when the boys first started planning the Klondike stations and the SPL & ASPL will be making a formal presentation to them this Wednesday night in front of their Pack. We'll be there too.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
This discussion has been closed.