Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 Vitodens installation

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,695
show us the goods.... I can't see the piping!

Gary

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=171&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• Henry_4
    Henry_4 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Commercial Vitodens application

of Jasper, IN replaced a copper fin boiler with the two Vitodens 15-60's shown in the photo. Again, this is another project by Bucket Mehringer of Jasper. The application is for a heat pump system and a maximum operating temperature of 120F, worst case. Please note the low loss header that is being uitlized, it is sized to handle the input of two boilers (decouplers can be sized for up to 120 US gpm). By decoupling the boilers from the loop, the large B&G system circs can move water around the building at whatever rate is necessary and each vitodens will see roughly 17 gpm at 15 feet head. Each boiler then gets its own circulator, ensuring proper flow through the titanium stabilized stainless heat exchanger.
    Furthermore, with a return water temperature of 120, supply 140, the Vitodens is just a tick under 95% AFUE, at the temperatures being run in this loop, AFUE is most likely between 96-97%, I did not have time to check last time I was there.
    The maintenance staff loves the system and will be replacing the boilers in their other facilities in the near future.
    Thanks again to the guys at Mehringer for another tremendous job.

Henry
    Vi - Midwest
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    low loss header

sounds like a pre-packaged primary/secondary pumping configuration.

Or is it something else/something more?

Mark
  • Henry_4
    Options
    The loss header

is isolating the boiler form the loop. The function is not to act as a primary / secondary device, but to limit flow through the heat exchanger, by doing so, I can drastically increase the delta T through the boiler hex and operate at extremely high efficiencies even when the loop may be calling for temperatures in excess of 160`F.

I am enclosing a picture that explains the math pretty well, but quite simply, as the flow or temperature in my loop increases, the Vitodens automatically responds by increasing the amount of BTU's that are absorbed by the system water. Concurrently, the Vitodens receives colder and colder return water to compensate for the increases in the system side. This as well as reset of multiple loops, domestic water production, diagnostics, fuel and air input modulation, fan speed, flame output and pump operation are all being controlled by the onboard Dekamatik (rectangular offset on the front of the boiler).

In the case of the photo above, each boiler is operating off of slightly different resets to ensure true "lead lag" operation. As the outdoor temperature drops, load moves beyond boiler one and its ability to maintain. The second boiler, sensing temperature below the parameters of its reset schedule then fires. The system works very well, both here and in all sorts of other applications.

Thanks for the reply,
    Henry Nichols
    Vi - Midwest
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Low Loss Header

Henry--

Is the Vitodens Low Loss Header made of aluminum? I attended a demonstration of this boiler recently and I think the rep said it was aluminum. I wish they would make it out of stainless.

(Does it look like you could make your own version of this header out of copper?)

By the way, your installation looks great. Do you have any photos of the Header?

-Paul
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Henry_4
    Options
    The low loss header

is made out of steel

Henry
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I was lucky enough to attend a demonstration of Vitodens. Your rep was very knowledgeable and I hope to use one in the future.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Henry_4
    Options
    I am sorry

The job was done is black pipe and in the dark room, they did not come out as light as I would have liked.
    I will try to get another shot with a shop light on it.

Thanks, Henry
This discussion has been closed.