Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My Honeywell safety keeps tripping

Options
Allerrab
Allerrab Member Posts: 3
Hello,
I have a 5 year old hydrotherm boiler (cold start - separate hot water heater) with a beckett burner - in my unheated uninsulated garage. The nozzle (.75 Hollow as per specs)and the electrodes are new as is the filter and eye. The pump is original running at 140 PSI and I do not have a smoke problem. The transformer and the Honeywell safety are also original. Additionally, I have an 8" exhaust (elbow to elbow to straight pipe to the chimney (which is old and the clay at the bottom is somewhat disintegrated - 8" square if not bigger - I believe I have proper draft (tested it by burning piece of paper - smoke sucked right out)).
I have also opened up the peep hole to look in the firebox and the backpressure is strong -- It will burn your face if you stay there for a relatively short period of time. I cleaned the boiler with a brush and vacuum however could not clean the base of the firebox. Although I still have pressure that is not my biggest problem.

The safety cuts off intermittently. Usually at night but the outside temperature does not seem to matter (it was in the 40's last week and it cut off and the 20's last night and it cut off). When I reset it, it kicks right back on and runs like a charm.

It has been a cold winter thus far in the northeast and this is getting stupid --- ANY SUGGESTIONS? HELP!!!

Update -- Well some of you wanted me to call a pro -- good oil pressure, air flow, nozzle, electrodes, the thing fired fine numerous times when he was there and guess what? 36 hours later at 2:35am when it was 20 degrees outside, I found it had tripped yet again.
Thanks
Allerrab@optonline.net

Comments

• Terry_4
    Terry_4 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    well ... two things

that we have seen recently on nusiance lock-outs

Check the motor for proper voltage and amperage, we had one not spinning up to full rpm.

On another burner we saw an oil solenoid valve sticking intermittently.

I don't know if this will help but it's something to try. Terry
  • Greg Kousidis
    Greg Kousidis Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Dead spot in the motor.

A common intermittent nuisance problem is a motor with a dead spot in the winding. The cad cell relay trips and the motor starts upon reset. It's a real pain in the ****!

I would definitely check the voltage and amperage. You could also have a faulty cad cell relay. It wouldn't hurt to OHM out the new eye too.
  • David Sutton_2
    David Sutton_2 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    wheres the oil tank ???

if the boiler is in the garage where is the oil tank, if the unit i9s going off on safty and starting right up the next morning . could be cold oil, or like the mentioned it could be a motor problem, if cold oil try nozzle line heater. if the not try olming out the motor remove the motor and stnd on end set meter to olms attatch red lead to black and black lead to white hold finger on fly wheel turn one complete rotation should not get reading over 4. then pull up and set back down read the meter, reading over 4 pitch the motor and put on a new one .. hope this helps .. David Sutton
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Safety Lockout

You stated among other things you have new electrodes. Are they adjusted right? Were the old ones burnt with a large gap? If so your transformer may be week and giving an intermittant problem. When you reset the control does it start with an odor? It could be a motor like someone else mentioned but I change more transformers than I do motors.
    As far as the back pressure you described, brush the unit again. Cold start boilers build up a white crusty substance that is hard to remove but causes back pressure. Back pressure causes bad nozzles and transformers on some burners including yours.
    Good Luck and call that tech back, he didn't fix it the first time.

Leo
This discussion has been closed.