Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My Double Munchkin Project

Options
EricR_2
EricR_2 Member Posts: 43
This is my 3rd Munchkin but my first double with multiple
zones and indirect.Used all Taco zone pumps with internal flow checks & Bock 119 indirect. This was an all electric apartment complex owned by Ithaka Land Trust who provides affordable housing in Colorado Springs. They try to go with the most cost effective equipment on all of their properties. My technicians had a hell of a time with routing the copper lines to all of the apartments, two story, being that the entire place is cantilevered over a parking garage and very large steel beams in the way every 20'. The system works perfectly and saves a huge amount of energy.Couldn't have done it without my excellent crew. They got great satisfaction out of this endever. Now for any constructive critisism please.(except for my spelling:)
Eric

Comments

• Colin
    Colin Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Kudo's Eric.......

Congratulations on a very fine looking and I'm sure functioning install. Every one involved deserves a pat on the back.

Do you ever have any problems with air elimination during purging or latter suppying and returning in the top of the primary loop rather than droping out of the bottom so air can travel along the top of the pipe back to the air elimination device?

Colin

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Nice looking install!!

Only thing you might want to try next time is isolation flanges instead of ball valves.

I've got a bunch of Munchies out there but no double headers.

Congratulations!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    No Critisism Here

Congratulations , nice job.

You've got a good crew, very nice work.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Not critisism just a question

How did you account for water temp drop along your primary loop? Were the convectors/baseboard upsized in the downstream apartments? Or do you have enough flow in the primary to compensate for it? Nice looking job BTW!!
  • Scott22
    Scott22 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    My Munchkin Project

In the manifold picture, I noticed that you didn't isolate the 2" copper line from the channel. Have you ever used cushion clamps? Otherwise, nice job, clean joints, no wall burns.
    Scott
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Very nice

A very nice piping job. Plenty of ways to pipe these jobs. Consider a vertical loop. This allow you to put the purger at the high point in the loop and also all your take offs are on the side away from potential air pockets that sometimes exist along the top of those hortizontal runs.

Also consider the bottom piping. If you stage the boilers only part of the loop has to be heated. Works nice with condensors that are not sensitive to cold return temperatures. Saves you a primary loop pump (make sure the pump is sized to the Munchkin flow requirements :)

Sounds like you will save this owner tons of heating $$!

hot rod

HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EricR_2
    Options
    Thanks for the input

I appreciate all of your observations and suggestions and will modify my meathods on the next install.
    I should have used isolation flanges, I think it makes a cleaner looking job, haven't had any air purge problems at all,took about 10 minutes per zone to fully purge, no temp. loss problems. Hot Rod, I like your ideas but I think I would have run out of space if I did a vert. loop,and I hadn't thought of the way you have it drawn in the bottom diagram and might try it in the future. I layed out the piping arrangement and was going to use copper clevis hangers and stand off clamps but allow my lead man to make modifications.
    Thank you all for your input! The knowledge and experience gathered here is awesome.
    Eric
  • EricR_2
    Options
    Thanks for the input

I appreciate all of your observations and suggestions and will modify my methods on the next install.
    I should have used isolation flanges, I think it makes a cleaner looking job, haven't had any air purge problems at all,took about 10 minutes per zone to fully purge, no temp. loss problems. Hot Rod, I like your ideas but I think I would have run out of space if I did a vert. loop,and I hadn't thought of the way you have it drawn in the bottom diagram and might try it in the future. I layed out the piping arrangement and was going to use copper clevis hangers and stand off clamps but allow my lead man to make modifications.
    Thank you all for your input! The knowledge and experience gathered here is awesome.
    Eric
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Great job

Eric and a very classy reply.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Eric, check out this

system. It employs a clever buffer arrangement, and explains that bridge piping to provide equal temperature to multiple zones. I enjoy seeing jobs posted, bring some more, we all benefit :)

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,78589,00.html

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jim f
    jim f Member Posts: 182
    Options

wonderful work.....i also love seeing pictures of different jobs and applications.we all learn from them and different styles of piping arangements.by the way what model circulators are those on secondary loops??
    jim f. milford, ct.
  • EricR_2
    Options
    Can't seem to

access the article. Do you know what month and year so I can find it? Thanks. Also the pumps are Taco 007ZF5-IFC. See attached web brochure.
  • Amazing work Eric

I like a guy who aint afraid to use copper wherever possible . Musta took a long time to assemble all those copper tees for the header and return piping . I see you put caps on all the boiler drains - is that standard practice ? With all the leaky drains we see - brand new - it seems like a good idea . Ive been trying to get our shop guy to buy ball valve drains , still waiting .
  • Steve M
    Steve M Member Posts: 26
    Options
    HEY!

Did we change the boiler pumps??? Eric used ball valves on his pumps because his wholesaler doesn't carry 9,000 sets of isolation flanges. My Taco isolation flanges have frozen open after ten years. When my 007 goes to pump heaven, I'll be wishing I used ball valves. Nice job, I've seen it in person.
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    Options
    legend ball valve drains

Recently repiped water service entrance to my house. Installed a Legend ball valve "hose bib" as a low point drain and a place to fill a bucket if the whole house is shut off. I believe it's marketed as a "water heater drain valve".

I ended up putting a cap on the outlet. When opened under pressure the initial flow comes out as a 360deg horizontal "disk" of water (nothing flowing down vertically). Gives both the wall and the person opening the valve a good soaking!

Probably wouldn't be a problem with HW boiler pressures.

Mark
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Try the link again

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,78589,00.html

If not go to www.pmmag.com. Click on archive, go down to columns and Siggys June 2002. Pictures should load with it also.

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I agree, Steve

the inexpensive, screw slot iso-valves, work OK the day you install them!! When you need them, often they won't turn or else they leak after they are shut off and on.

For a few bucks more you can get a full port ball valve, like these Jomar. Match them to the flange of your choice. Remove the handles, stash them in the boiler jacket, to make them tamper proof.

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • EricR_2
    Options
    Sorry Steve

We used Taco 0010's for the boilers, 0012 for primary loop and 007's for baseboard loops and 0011 for the indirect.
    Thanks to you Steve and Rampart Supply for your excellent Customer Service:-)
  • munchkin-man
    munchkin-man Member Posts: 247
    Options
    Very nice

again it is awsome to see you guys sharing ideas and your job addvetures together. We do have several jobs out there with multiple units some up to over 1 mil BTU's. Great job. As always to all thanks for your continuing support.
    See Ya!!!!!!!
  • molly
    molly Member Posts: 43
    Options
    hose bib caps

We put caps on all of our "new style" ball valve type boiler drains to avoid an accidental opening of the valve. A lot of "mechanical rooms" around here get converted by the home owner, after we leave, into a closet. They're in there moving stuff around, bumping into things with their skis, mops, brooms, what have you. Or, if the basement is wide open, the kids are down there kicking a ball around. We do it just as a precaution.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,695
    Options
    One more tip

I went to the Holohan school of Primary/Secondary. Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't there supossed to be 8 pipe diameters between the sets of take-offs? One space saving tip is to run a bathch of secondaries off of the lower header.

Steve had a good question, is there much of a temperature drop at the end of the manifold?

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    One more tip

I went to the Holohan school of Primary/Secondary. Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't there supossed to be 8 pipe diameters between the sets of take-offs? One space saving tip is to run a batch of secondaries off of the lower header, and just offset around the upper group. Then again, if you have the room, it does look sweet the way you have it.

Steve had a good question, is there much of a temperature drop at the end of the manifold?

Gary

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Options
    No more than

If anything, I think it would be "no more than 8 pipe diameters between the sets of take-offs".

Mark
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Options
    sorry - missed use of \"set\"

As Gary pointed out in a private email, I was ignoring the word "set" - even though I carefully included it in my response :-)

My response was referring to the distance between the supply and return Ts that make up a "set" - where the closer the better.

Gary was talking about a between-sets distance - where the farther the better. I'll need to go back an re-read P/S made easy - don't remember seeing an 8 pipe diameters rule for this. Good info to know.

Thanks Gary

Mark
  • GW
    Options
    cool

I think it's in Dan's work book, which I don't know is available in the book store... I got it at his Pri/Sec class. If it's not there, I made it up myself..:)

Gary

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
This discussion has been closed.