Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can air be sucked into a boiler

Options
that air can be sucked into a boiler through the float vent - even when theres pressure on the boiler . He said that if the circs come on suddenly , and theyre piped after the float vent , air can be drawn in - even if the pressure is relatively high . I tested the boiler we worked on today - turned 3 zones on at once - the pressure stayed an even 20 psi , and I didnt hear anything from the air can .

The same guy suggested we start using an 1 1/2 by 1 1/4 double tap bushing on the header - to drop a nipple into the boiler a little , so we can trap and eliminate the air through the separate 3/4 tapping right next to it on the Burnham V8s . I think thats a good idea , but does anyone make something a little more heavy duty ? Like a threaded nipple that might extend into the boiler itself ? Those bushings are so thin , they crack real easy . I already asked about the Taco Vortec or the Spirovent , and they aint gonna go for em . Thanks in advance .

Comments

• jg2700
    jg2700 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    AIR

AT MY COMPANY WE INSTALL A VENT IN THE BUILT IN SCOOP OF THE BOILER BUT WE ALSO USE AIR SCOOPS ON THE HEADER OF THE BOILER. JG
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    The only way

that can happen is if the circulator is developing a differential pressure greater than the system's static fill pressure, and it's pumping at the compression tank. Other than that, it can't happen.
    Retired and loving it.
  • J.C.A.
    J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Like Dan said ....

Pumping away is the solution !

Point of no pressure change is the key. Took me a while to grasp the concept, but the light shined when it was explained properly .
This discussion has been closed.