Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PDAs

Options
larry
larry Member Posts: 91
On the Palm platform there is a great *freeware* application called HandyShopper. Although it's used by many people to create shopping lists for the supermarket, you can create your own database with heating/plumbing parts. As you select the parts (putting in the first few letters) it temporarily moves the item from the primary list to a seperate list (called items needed). You can put in pricing info for each item, and have it total the list. A couple of years ago I checked out all the products of this sort, and though HandyShopper to be a class by itself and the price is certainly right. The other popular database platform for palm is thinkDB (now called SmartList to Go by Dataviz). With this you could design your own database application that does exactly what you want.

Comments

• Mitch_2
    Mitch_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Software for pda

What software do you use and for what application do you use it for . I would like one to make lists ,that I would enter the first few letters of a word then the rest of the word would pop up ,to be used for listing material used on a job . Maybe it would have prices attached as well . What else do you use your pda's for besides date and address .
    Thanks for the help.
    Mitch
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options
    WordComplete

is the program that someone beamed to me to do exactly what you're asking. I do the same and I've also added custom words so that I don't have to graffiti everything in. I don't know where to get it though, maybe try an internet search. I also use the memo function to keep track of jobs for billing as well as past due balances so that I can collect from a client without having to call the office. Good luck!
  • Big Al and the pipewrenches
    Options
    P D A's have alot to offer...

Options

Options

Which unit are you using? Is it a Palm or one of the
    other units available using Windows CE or other format.?
    I have been exploring the idea of Hydonics user specefic software package if there would be enough interest. I have
    always thought Hydronic people, particularly the group on
    " The Wall " are FORWARD THINKING people.
    Thanks
    Big AL
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    PDA

I'd be lost without my Sony Clie; uses the palm platform and I don't have any fancy programs. The bundled software takes care of adresses, calendar and to do lists and I use the memo part to keep track of all our current jobs (contact information, permit numbers, notes, etc.).

I've modified the custom fields to accept:

1) boiler model and serial number

2) circulator model numbers

3) type of zone valves

so that when a customer calls up, I know what equipment they have and can stock my truck before going over.

In the notes field, I keep track of the service history.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Tom Meyer
    Tom Meyer Member Posts: 300
    Options
    Now THERE is a scary mental image...

...a HVAC tech, bluejeans hanging low enough to see the "plumber's crack", a oily rag hanging out of his back pocket, tool belt around his paid-for beer belly, with a pipe wrench in one hand and a Palm Pilot in the other.

Holy Cow! That's me in a mirror (years ago).

8-P

Tom Meyer
    Senior Designer/Trainer
    Precision Hydronics
    www.precisionhydronics.com
  • Jackchips
    Jackchips Member Posts: 344
    Options
    Don't know

one PDA from another but I do wish you would buy a Palm so my stock will recover. :-)
  • George_5
    George_5 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    pda shortcuts

There is already a way to do what you want if you have a Palm. 1. Tap the house in the lower left of screen. 2. Tap the little arrow upper right of screen. 3. Tap system. 4. Tap Prefs. 5. Tap the little arrow upper right of screen again. 6. Tap shortcuts. 7. Tap new. 8. Where it says shortcut name enter the first few letters of a word. (You only need one letter here.) 8. Where it says shortcut text write the word.
    Now when you want the word write a loop-dee thing like a script small e in the graffiti area. The loop-dee thing will appear in whatever you have opened – Memo – date book – to do – what ever. Then write the single letter (your short cut) and the full word will appear. Have fun
  • Ray Liotti
    Ray Liotti Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Software for PDAs

You can download a lot of free software for PDAs from www.cnet.com or www.zdnet.com

Both have searchable indexes of programs. There may actually be something there, ready made, that will work for you. I picked up a couple of games for my older palm(gives me something to do at lunch) and they work fine. You need to know your operating system to get the right stuff.
This discussion has been closed.