Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam system problem

Options
handle the air with a good main vent/keep rad valves open and level rad to pitch back to pipe/ keep steam pressure as low as possible 1main 1/2differential use adjustable steam vents/ handle the air/stay warm and quiet

Comments

• Michael_3
    Michael_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have a 100 year old house with a single pipe steam radiator system on a 2 1/2 year old oil fueled furnace.

I have four radiators that did not always heat when the system fires up. Sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. I have replaced the vents on all 4, but the problem remains on three of the four.

Any suggestions?
  • Is there a

main vent on that steam main somewhere ? If there is , has it been changed recently ? We see quite a few houses without em , and the ones that do have em are piped usually in the wrong spot - which makes replacing them a yearly service .
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    You may have re[placed vents...but

that doesn't mean that they are good ones or the right size..and yes main vent a must Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • pfitter_10
    pfitter_10 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Has

the insulation on the steam supply lines been removed or falling off? this adds extra load to the boiler and sometines the steam just cant make it all the way out.
    p.
  • Jim_13
    Jim_13 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree.

What Joe said.
This discussion has been closed.