Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant roof

Options
I believe that's what they're called. They are designed to hold snow on steep roofs--particularly slate/metal etc.

Trying to melt it (and keep it melted) might be futile. If you melt it off the roof, it will freeze in the gutters, eventually overflow and then freeze on whatever is lower (the porch roofs) where icicles in the "deadly stalactite" range might form.

Link below should be of use.

http://www.traditional-building.com/article/snowg.htm

Comments

• Andy Morgan_2
    Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    radiant roof

I have a customer that wants a roof melt system. He does not want the electric cable type because it's ugly. (you have to know the guy!) He is considering some sort of radiant type system, being he likes the one I installed in his house. Does any one have a suggestion for this? I'm thinking just a staple up under the roof with a simple set point controller, on a seperate boiler with glycol, and let 'er rip! Fuel consumption is not a huge factor, being the short time it will run. Looking forward for input!

Thanks

Andy Morgan
  • John Jr
    John Jr Member Posts: 210
    Options

You know Andy I have been thinking about that alot. Put tubes in the roof bays and you could use them for roof melt and then in the summer reverse it and use it as solar colector to use for Hot Water. Just use a HX

John Jr
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Bizarre

Why?

Ice dams? I pray not for appearance--what a terrible waste of fuel! Just like an igloo, snow on the roof in snow country actually insulates because it's 32°.

If customer insists would suggest Thermo-fin. One straight strip per rafter bay if on 24" centers; one zig-zag strip (skew each 8' piece oppositely) every other bay if on 16"???

• Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    i was thinking

of a radiant panel system like quick trac right underneath the singles for a solar collector. bob
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • mike glass
    mike glass Member Posts: 53
    Options
    plates under shingles?

Who's going to re-roof the house in the future???? ;)

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    somebody who is

very careful. but you would be able to see the pex just like when you install hardwood flooring over panels. the roof might last a lot longer if it is a lot cooler. bob
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Andy Morgan_2
    Andy Morgan_2 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    reroof

It's a metal standing seem roof, and the problem is snow coming off a very steep roof and landing on the four very shallow porch roofs. With the past storms, the snow covers some windows and the owner is not interested in shoveling them off.
This discussion has been closed.